The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Congratulations to Jenny Yao and Ali Delambo 1st and 2nd place overall at Low-Country Science Fair

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

After working in a restaurant for the majority of her junior year where she received tips as part of her salary, Lauren Medich became interested in learning ways that she could earn more in tips. When making conversation with the customers, the first thing that she would always learn was whether the customers were locals or tourists. After further research, Lauren realized that there are no studies relating locality to tipping wages which led to her governing question: How does patron locality affect tipping patterns in restaurants of a specific community?

In her thesis, she examined local and tourist tipping patterns in order to see if one had higher percentages than the other. Since locality was one of the first things that a server learns about a customer, the servers could choose to put in extra effort to their serving performance to the higher tipping group if there is data showing if either the locals or tourists tip higher. Lauren collected her data by surveying random people on King Street during Second Sunday and asking them questions about their tipping patterns.  In order to analyze the collected data, Lauren ran a T-test and found that although there were slight changes in the means of data, with locals tipping 22% and tourists 19%, these results were not statistically significant. Even though there was not an apparent difference between locals and tourists with their tipping patterns, Lauren now knows the best tips about tips!

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Showcase

AMHS End of Year 2017

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

News

A “Starry Night” (Prom)

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Opinions

AIPAC Policy Conference

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Showcase

Kara Schwacke’s Diamond in the Rough: Samantha Moody

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Showcase

Class of 2018 Thesis Stats

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Showcase

Student-Athlete of the Week: Riane Coman

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Food

New Ben & Jerry’s Flavors are Cereal-sly Delicious!

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Showcase

Trump Administration rolls back environmental regulations because the White House “prefers warmer temperatures”

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Showcase

The Las Vegas Raiders

• Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips

Magnet Alumni

A Blast From the Past: Report on Alumnus John Seibels

Lauren Medich’s Tips on Tips