What time is it? Time for a new High School Musical!

After 10 years since the first High School Musical, Disney channel has finally announced the start of something new, High School Musical 4! Disney finally got their heads in the game and decided that it was time for another addition to the most successful Disney Channel Original Movie series in history. 

High School Musical is part of Disney Channel’s DNA. It embodies all that we stand for.

— Gary Marsh, Disney Channel President

Starting in 2006, the first High School Musical aired and became the most watched film on Disney Channel that year with 7.7 million viewers. Its catchy songs and dances followed the story of the East High basketball squad and scholastic decathlon team, all tangled up in the drama of the Drama Club and the Spring Musical.  With so much success, HSM bopped to the top and went to become a trilogy with HSM 2 in 2007 and HSM 3: Senior Year in 2008. Troy Bolton, East High’s basketball star, stole the hearts of many girls and continues to today, right here, right now. However, Disney’s announcement of a fourth HSM brought some disappointment to the original fans. Instead of an East High reunion with the original cast, HSM 4 will introduce these new rumored characters:

Erin- a soccer player who strives for excellence—and the only girl on the boys’ team. She starts falling for the bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks, but isn’t sure whether to follow her heart.

Derek- the aforementioned bad boy who falls for Erin, is tough on the surface but a soft-hearted family guy at his core. He’s an excellent soccer player and incredible dancer who teaches dance classes to little girls at his family’s studio.

Campbell- the soccer captain and theater star who also happens to be Sharpay and Ryan Evans’ cousin. He decides that he wants to date Erin, and isn’t too happy when she wants to be with Derek instead.

Nathalie- is East High’s biggest fan, a loyal, outgoing cheerleader and big-hearted BFF to Erin.

Tamara- is East High’s former queen bee, a cheer squad member attempting to climb back up the social ladder and reclaim all the attention for herself.

Hopefully Sharpay and Ryan will make an appearance to teach their cousin Campbell the basics behind jazz squares and how to be fabulous. Besides, everyone loves a good jazz square. Despite any doubt that fans may have about this new installment to one of their childhood’s favorite movies, High School Musical and Disney Channel are all in this together to make it a night to remember.