National Honor Society Is Back at AMHS

Catch up with what the group has been up to this year.

After a couple of years without having NHS, Magnet has decided to reintroduce the club once again. Last year, many sophomores and juniors (now juniors and seniors) were invited to apply for membership, roughly ninety of whom would be ultimately selected. Heading the club are Mrs. Renes and Ms. Spencer; however, the emphasis thus far has remained on student initiative. The four students with leadership positions are as follows: president Sammy Rosenberg, vice president Sully Gholson, secretary Abby Sutterlin, and treasurer Grace Gurney.

However, because the number of students involved is so large, the organization has four separate committees that collaborate closely with one another: fundraising (manages budgets and executes fundraisers), community service (organizes community service projects within AMHS and the local Charleston area), media (promotes NHS’s work through media outlets), and induction ceremony (planned the induction ceremony, which was well-executed on October 7). The members of each are expected to set up their own meetings and fulfill their respective duties with minimal adult guidance, and they have successfully organized many staff appreciation days so far.

For many weeks prior to October 2, the committees worked to put together a gesture for our school custodians, consisting of interviewing them, acknowledging them via social media outlets, creating thank you cards, and making them gift baskets. Mr. Dawson and Mr. Jennings were thrilled, making the appreciation day a huge success.

Presentation of Mr. Jennings’s gift.
Presentation of Mr. Dawson’s gift.

Similarly, for Bus Driver Appreciation Week (October 21-25), the students created a slideshow presentation with fun facts about each of AMHS’s bus drivers, brought in breakfast for them one morning, and made cards and gift bags as well. Through this, the student body was able to let the bus drivers know that their hard work and commitment do not go unnoticed.

Homemade cookies for the bus drivers.
Bus Driver Appreciation Week gift presentation and breakfast.

Finally, NHS has spent the month of October finding ways to make National Principals Month special for Ms. Spencer. The students worked together to give her a gift of flowers and Starbucks and are currently working on another project to demonstrate AMHS’s gratitude for all the time and effort she puts into our school.

Upcoming plans for NHS include more faculty and staff appreciation days, as well as community service in order to make an impact locally. Here are some upcoming dates of importance:

School Counselor Appreciation Week: February 3-7

School Employee Appreciation Day: March 6

School Social Worker Day: March 2

School Board Appreciation Night: March 2

National Assistant Principals Week: April 6-10

Administrative Assistants Day: April 22

School Lunch Hero Day: May 1

Teacher Appreciation Week: May 4-8

Nurses Appreciation Day: May 12