Kobe Bryant Day

Kobe Bryant Day

Nate LeRoy, Sports Section Editor

The city of Los Angeles has been called home by many stars, including Kim Kardashian, Ben Affleck, and Magic Johnson. Yet one star has been brighter than all others these past twenty years, a star that lit up the city along with the scorebook night in and night out. With the 13th pick in the 1996 NBA Draft, the Charlotte Hornets picked Kobe Bean Bryant, and 18 year old from Lower Merion High School in Philadelphia, who was promptly traded to the Los Angeles Lakers for Vlade Divac. This is the most infamous draft day trade in history, rivaled only by the five for one player move that sent Kevin Garnett to the Boston Celtics and completed the “Boston Three Party”. Kobe went on to amass one of the greatest careers the NBA has ever seen, and perhaps the greatest in Lakers history, one that boasts Shaq, Magic, Kareem, and Wilt Chamberlain.

Bryant amassed 33,643 points (3rd all-time) in a 20-year career with the Lakers, along with five NBA titles, 18 All Star appearances and an NBA MVP. Kobe also added two gold medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, along with an undefeated 36-0 record in international play. Kobe is an international megastar as well, claiming the highest international jersey sales for several years, and being greeted by thousands of fans in every country he enters, from China to Mexico.

The city of Los Angeles dedicated August 24 Kobe Bryant Day (8/24), to commemorate the two jersey numbers he wore during his twenty year career with the Lakers, the longest for  any one player with an NBA franchise. LA city council member José Huiraz stated “Among his astonishing list of accomplishments, Kobe Bryant’s 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers ranks him No. 1 all-time for NBA players who played for a single franchise, and ‘Kobe Bryant Day’ is the City of Los Angeles’ way of thanking him for his single-minded dedication to excellence, the fans and the entire City and region of Los Angeles.For 20 years, we were all the beneficiaries of Kobe’s incredible talent and legendary work ethic, and on 8-24 we’ll gather to say, ‘Thank you, Mamba.'” Four months after his historic last game in which he scored 60 points to end his legendary career, the retirement party continues, and has no end in sight. It is expected that the Lakers will retire his jersey this season, perhaps against franchise rival Boston on March 3, or a late February game against the San Antonio Spurs could suffice as well. Regardless, you can expect more festivities and celebrities on August 24, as the city of Los Angeles gathers to honor Kobe Bryant one more time.