Magnet graduates 149 in 2015!

On Wednesday, June 4, 2015, the Academic Magnet High School graduated its largest class – 149 students.  With an opening statement by class president, Colleen Christensen, the ceremony began. The graduation speaker was Lt. Col. Stephen Cheek who was the president of the AMHS Senior Class of 1995. He was introduced by student body president Cassidy Rindge.

Lt. Col Stephen Cheek - AMHS 1995
Lt. Col Stephen Cheek – AMHS 1995

Lt. Col Cheek graduated from the University of North Carolina and then received his Masters Degree in Aeronautical Science from Embry-Riddle University. He is currently a senior pilot in the US Air Force Reserves and lives in Southern Pines, NC with his wife and 3 children.

Remember: You can’t have HAPPY without AP.

— Vaibhav Mohanty

Following this speech the audience was treated to a lovely interlude by Whitney Su on piano.  Whitney along with Evie Adams, Shannan Mueller, Nate Schlosser, Maranda Schwacke, and Vivian Song were the Junior Class Marshalls.  Ian Grimshaw (AMHS Teacher of the Year) recognized students  who received the SC Achievement Honors Awards. Vaibhav Mohanty, salutatorian, was next to speak, enlightening a loving audience that if life is a circle, then high school is only a small arc. Selina Pi, valedictorian, spoke about the special personalities that make up the class and also received a standing ovation from her peers.

Remember how our teachers didn’t spoon feed us, but how we grew up and took the initiative to make sense of what we didn’t understand.

— Selina Pi

Special Awards were given which were voted on by the AMHS Faculty.  The Renaissance Award is given to a senior who exhibits a passion for learning as well as interests in arts and athletics, and who excels across different disciplines. This year’s award was presented to Vaibhav Mohanty.   The Raptor Award was presented to Cassidy Rindge. This award is given to a senior who exemplifies the spirit of the Magnet, promotes student unity and enhances the overall learning environment through active involvement.  The McAlester Award is given annually to a student who exhibits superior athletic performance, sportsmanship, leadership, community service, citizenship and academic accomplishment. Mr. Hoffman awarded this to Trace Hall.

The Seniors were then announced individually by Ms. Cornehl and Mr. Johnston. Their diplomas were presented by Principal Judith Peterson, Assistant Principal Lucy Pinckney, Deborah Ware, Guidance Director and Erica Taylor (also an AMHS graduate) who represented CCSD.