That’s MY President! Getting to Know Davis Leath

Meet Davis Leath, your 2019-2020 AMHS Student Body President.

Give us a little background on yourself. 

Alright, so, I was born in 2001; it was a hot summer day, but I was charging through. I have lived the rest of my life… sorry I’m eating my lunch…on the edge. I am a student at Academic Magnet. Some of the things I love doing are sailing, hanging out with my dog, George, buying new sneakers, or planning events for the Student Council and the school.

Besides being the Student Body President, what else are you involved in at Magnet?

This year, I am the President of the AMHS Ping Pong Club (we meet every Friday), Co-President with Jamie Terry of the AMHS Sneakers Club, Vice-President of the French National Honor Society, and I am also involved in the Meeting Street Academy Tutoring.

Do you have any ~interesting~ plans for the upcoming year?

I like to think that I lead with a little sugar and spice. You haven’t seen the spice yet.

Davis and fellow Talon writer, Jack Levenson, on generation day of spirit week last year in their matching groutfits.

What is your favorite Magnet tradition?

Ohhhh, shoot! I have so many favorite traditions! Some of my favorite unconventional traditions are our blood drive days and the pep rallies. I love seeing the unity of the student body.

I have heard you are a shoe connoisseur. What are your favorite pair of sneakers you own? Do you have any tips to share for those wanting to step up their shoe game?

My most prized pair of sneakers are my Sean Wotherspoon Air Max 1/90s, but I have a tie for my most nostalgic pairs: a custom sneaker made for my birthday by Andrew de Arellano or my first Air Jordan 1s. For anyone wanting to get into the shoe game, scared money don’t make money.

How’s the sailing team?

Best in the country. We’re going to the nattys this year.

“Is your hair natural?” -Eli LeRoy

Yeah, a lot of people have been asking me about this. In the winter, my hair gets a lot darker but in the summer, it gets lighter because I’m in the sun a lot.

What advice would you give to underclassmen about their time at Magnet?

If there are any clubs or societies you want to be in, get involved early so that later on you can have bigger and more important positions.

I’m featured in like 3 of his vlogs. One of the highest views is the mystery sandwich one. Actually, I’m not sure if it has the highest view.

— Jack Levenson

I know many people have been wondering, what happened to the vlogs? 

That one is a really sore subject. I honestly just didn’t have time for them with school work.

(Check out the vlogs here!)

“Why were you wearing a Wando Student Council shirt on Tuesday, August 27th?” -Simone Kavarana

Simone loves to attack me, first of all. She is my work wife. Our council is working with Wando for a big charity fundraiser so I got it from a Wando Student Council member.

What is the best class to take at Magnet and why?

You can’t go wrong with AP Psych. I would recommend Mr. Stackhouse, but Mr. Rush is also a dog. That was probably the best class I’ve taken at Magnet. It’s such an applicable class to life and I feel like I have learned the most relevant information.

What is your horoscope? Any insight on it? 

I’m a Leo. It probably goes without saying it’s the best one. My birthday is August 7th if anyone is wondering.

Any final thoughts?

“The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you.” -Samuel L. Jackson, Pulp Fiction (Ezekial 25:17)