Go Vote for the Best of Charleston

Every year The City Paper opens an online poll for Charleston locals to vote for their favorite local restaurants, businesses, people, news stories and events.  This year, some AMHS staff members have their products and services up in the running.  As a matter of fact, Academic Magnet High School stands as a nomination for a category this year!  Make sure you cast your votes before February 24th at 11:59 pm when winners are chosen!  If you don’t have time to vote in every category, students and staff at AMHS encourage you to at least cast a vote for the following nominations; as your vote supports the Magnet community!

It’s no wonder AMHS is a little biased in some categories, but we love to show love to the businesses of teachers in this community!  You may be surprised to learn that our guitar teacher, Ian Grimshaw, owns an entirely plant based, vegan cafe called Gnome.  We highly recommend you give it a visit if you’re ever downtown looking for a quick bite, and also hope you nominate his restaurant for the “Best Restaurant for Vegetarians” in the Best of Charleston poll.  Click here for more information on Gnome Cafe.

You can also show your support for Mr. Grimshaw by nominating his wife’s floristry in the “Best Florist” category.  SYG designs (Mrs. Grimshaw’s floristry) has helped with decorations at a handful of Magnet events–including the recent Power of a Mentor banquet here at AMHS.

Of course, as an obvious nomination, we encourage you to vote for Academic Magnet High School in the “Best Public High School” category.  Currently AMHS is up against Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary School, Charleston County School of the Arts, James Island Charter High School, and Wando High School. If we can be top 10 in the nation, I’m sure we can be #1 in The City Paper!

Additionally, please cast your vote for Mr. Wright’s Creative Writing Classes Six Word Memoir video in “Best Locally Produced Video of 2016”.  If you would like to read more on this, check out are recently published article where you can watch the classes creation.  Click here for that article!

So once again, make sure you cast your vote by February 24th!  We hope to see our community get the credit it deserves.