AMHS Students Attend the National SAVE Youth Summit

This past Saturday, March 21, the AMHS SAVE club “joined SAVE on the road less traveled” at the National SAVE Youth Summit in Raleigh, North Carolina. Aligning with SAVE’s aim to empower, encourage, educate, and engage students in violence prevention efforts, this year’s speakers touched on topics like dating violence and automobile accidents. The AMHS SAVE division even had the opportunity to speak, and they presented strategies to alter “tolerance for intolerance” in America and SAVE’s history of diversity. Keynote speakers ranged from Mike Hall, author of The Only 2 Words Young Leaders Must Know and Jigsaw, to Magnet’s very own Mr. Weart, cofounder of SAVE, Olympic Torch Carrier in 1996 and 2001, recipient of the Presidential Service Award from President Clinton and the Point of Light from President George W. Bush, and author of A Teacher Shoots Back: Targeting School Violence.

The theme of this year’s summit was “Join SAVE on the Road Less Traveled,” and highlighted a variety of topics based on the safety and wellbeing of students. Keynote speaker Mike Hall kicked things off with his presentation on going from “zero to hero,” which touched on overcoming adversity, peer pressure, and leadership. AMHS students led a workshop session about diversity and the role of National SAVE as a role model of students from different backgrounds coming together. Other high schools presented their topics, too, such as “Partnerships for Peace” from E.A. Laney High School. At lunch, Mr. Weart presented his speech, “Back in the Saddle Again,” and the groups then went back for more workshops and their closing session. The SAVE Summit was an overall amazing opportunity for AMHS students to expand on their leadership skills and to learn from their out-of-state peers!

Check out our other article about SAVE here!