Raptor Lacrosse Advances to Semi-Finals

Academic Magnet plays Oceanside in a highly anticipated matchup

Raptors defeat St. James 14-6 in Murrells Inlet

Eliot Leadem, Editor

Avenging a disappointing second round loss in last year’s 4A Playoffs, the Academic Magnet Lacrosse team has already reached the semi-finals in this year’s competition, defeating May River and St. James in the first and second rounds. As the #2 seed of 8 teams in the Lowcountry, the Raptors have seen one of their most winning seasons since All-American Thomas Trouche lead the team to a 13-2 record in 2014. Currently holding a 12-3 overall record and 4-2 record in the region, Academic Magnet stands at #6 in South Carolina according to MaxPreps. This year, however, the team is seeking their first ever State Championship, an accomplishment that they believe can be achieved with this year’s talented team.

“I am ready to violate their defense and score a career-high

— Jack Niesse

Lead by Co-Captains Jackson Howe and Doscher Hill, the Raptors have stunned competition, including two victories of 5A schools Lexington and Blythewood. Another impressive win came against Porter Gaud (W:12-7), a team playing in SCISA with no other losses to South Carolina teams other than Academic Magnet. Sophomores Hampton Gehlken and Chap Hodges lead team scoring with a combined 140 points, while Freshman John Thomas has added 55 of his own. Doscher Hill, Alec Goldberg, and Jack Dillard compose one of the premier defensive units in the state, anchored by Sophomore Goalie Phenom Samuel Ford-Dirks. Hill received a spot on the Second Team-All State, while Gehlken and Schlosser took honors on the All-State roster. To top it off, Head Coach Steven Kamp earned Lower State Coach of the Year.

This winning season has not come so easy, however. Senior Dillan Drymon tore his ACL before the season started, in a football game against Bishop England. The term “ACL Bois” was coined shortly ago when John Thomas also tore his ACL, a major blow to their playoff hopes. Nonetheless, this has not prevented the team from being a scoring machine in the early matchups, as sophomores Will Jordan, Hampton Gehlken, and Chap Hodges scored a combined 10 points against St. James.

The Raptors face Oceanside Academy tonight, April 24, in what will likely be a fiercely competitive game. Though Oceanside’s 11-2 record is threatening, one of their losses comes to Porter Gaud, a team which Magnet beat handily. This matchup will include a brother rivalry, as brothers Tommy and Tyler Crookes will face off on opposing teams. Good luck and Go Raptors!