Boy’s Basketball Completes Sweep of St. John’s

Ben Auten, Staff Writer

In a hot, humid gym on John’s Island, the Magnet varsity boy’s basketball team emerged victorious with a 67-52 over St. John’s. The Raptors got out to an early lead but the Islanders hung around and stayed within striking distance, trailing by just 2 with a score of 26-24 at the half. St. John’s kept their momentum going into the second half and tied the game at 31 halfway through the 3rd quarter, forcing Magnet to call a timeout. Then, sophomore Bryson Rose caught fire and scored 16 straight points to end the third quarter and the Raptors had restored their lead heading into the final frame.

Until that point in the game, it seemed as if the Islanders were gaining confidence and threatening to take a lead of their own. A Raptor offense that looked stagnant and baffled by the same St. John’s team they beat 75-48 just last Friday, was in dire need of some instant offense and “Piggy” (Bryson Rose) delivered. He rattled off 5 straight threes in the last four minutes, and capped it off with a four point play to essentially put the game away.

“Piggy” finished the night with 25 points including 6 threes, and Senior Danny Cunningham added 13 points and 7 rebounds of his own.

The Raptors (2-1) take on Stall at home Friday night with the girls playing at 6:30 and the boys at 8,  and “the theme is America so come out in Red, White, and Blue” (LeRoy, 2015) to support your Raptors!