AMHS Volleyball Team is Undefeated in the Region

Maryanna Reed, Staff Writer

The Raptor volleyball team has had a very successful and exciting start to the season. Currently undefeated in the region, the Lady Raptors are 8-0. The team recently defeated Garrett in 3 straight sets, and took down Math & Science for the second time this season.

With an overall record of 12-1, this year’s volleyball team is one of the best Magnet has seen in a while. The Lady Raptors had two huge wins over Summerville and Goose Greek, both 4A teams. After beating both teams in the same night in one of the best double headers in Magnet volleyball history, the team is hoping to continue the winning streak through the rest of the season.

This year’s team dominates the court with a killer starting lineup. Senior captain Bridget Tunney and junior Blake Bernard lead the Raptor defense with numerous digs and perfect passes every game. Sophomore Caroline Mitchum commands the offense as the starting setter while senior captain Emily Aysse is recovering from a knee injury. The Raptor’s powerful middle hitters, sophomore Bryn Gerding and senior captain Maryanna Reed, lead the team in blocks and consistently challenge the opponent’s defense with their strong hits. Right side hitter, sophomore Semaj Fielding, is one of the team’s most powerful hitters and contributes numerous kills every game. The team’s essential outside hitters, juniors Isabel Eicher and Gabi Rauls, don’t only kill it at the net, but also dominate on defense.

With tough opponents ahead like Bishop England on September 29th and Hanahan on October 7th, it is guaranteed that there are going to be some good and competitive games ahead. Make sure to come out and support your Lady Raptors!

Upcoming Home Games:

October 1st (6:00) – Battery Creek and Whale Branch

October 7th (6:30) – Hanahan

October 15th (6:00) – Bishop England