AMHS Boys and Girls Swim Teams Place 1st and 2nd at Invitational, Girls Beat Wando at Dual Meet

Natasha Tirpak, Staff Writer

This past weekend, the AMHS Swim Team competed in the 2015 Ripley’s Invitational in Myrtle Beach. Coached by Ms. Cornehl, the swim team placed 1st and 2nd out of 28 other competing teams. The girls team swam through the meet with a strong lead, finishing  with a score of 121.5 points, 44.5 points ahead of Myrtle Beach High School. They had many top finishers including Olivia Kinsinger, Skylar Ayers, and Annalise Hafner who all placed in the top 5 for the 200 freestyle. Olivia Kinsinger also won the 500 freestyle and her fellow senior Elaine Zhou won the 100 butterfly and 1oo breaststroke. Juniors Madeline McQuillan placed 3rd in the 100 backstroke and Julia Zimlich placed 4th in the 100 breaststroke. Both of the girls team’s freestyle relays placed in the top five. Emma Crowfoot, Elaine Zhou, Annalise Hafner, and Julia Zimlich’s 400 freestyle relay came in first place and Campbell Babb, Skyler Ayers, Isabel Valiluis, and Malia Borg’s 200 freestyle relay came in 4th place.

The boys team swam  hard throughout the meet and also had some top 5 finishers. Senior Carter Brzezinski won 1st place in both the 200 freestyle and the 100 butterfly. His co-captain Cooper Pitts came in 1st in the 200 individual medley and 2nd in the 100 breaststroke. The 400 freestyle relay made up of Carter Brzezinski, Eli Beall, Connor Young, and Cooper Pitts took 1st place and the 200 medley relay of Carter Brzezinski, John Pavlides, Cooper Pitts, and Wade Allen took home 2nd place.

On Thursday night, the AMHS Swim Team also had their first duel meet of the season against Wando High School. Although Wando is a 4A school, the Raptors kept the meet close. The AMHS girls swam to victory while the boys fought hard with many close races but could not snatch a victory.

Congrats to all AMHS swimmers for a successful start to season! Next meet: September 3rd vs. James Island @ James Island