French and Spanish NHS raise over $250 for charity and club events

Magnet students enjoy un petit déjeuner français.

Ella Berger

Selina Pi, Editor

This past week has been busy for Academic Magnet’s foreign language department. Both the French and Spanish National Honor Societies sponsored food-focused fundraisers that helped spread cultural awareness. Both groups have an emphasis on community service and academic excellence.

Students dine in the café.
Students dine in the café.

French National Honor Society held its first ever French breakfast in the main lobby on Friday, November 14, 2014. All ingredients were donated by members or bought by FNHS, and volunteers arrived bright and early at 7:30 on Friday morning to help set up. For $3, students and teachers were served fresh croissants and baguette with jam, butter, peanut butter, and of course, Nutella. In addition, Magneteers enjoyed newly brewed café au lait and hot chocolate. Fresh fruits, such as honeydew, raspberries, bananas, blueberries, grapes and strawberries, completed the breakfast. After gathering a full plate, students could enjoy their petit déjeuner while lounging at the café tables in the lobby, with music by famed French singers Edith Piaf and Charles Trenet playing in the background. FNHS made over $110 for charity and club events.

Meanwhile, on November 18, 2014, National Spanish Honor Society served tacos for Taco Tuesday in the art gallery. Taco Tuesday has been a Magnet tradition for several years, and within minutes of the lunch bell ringing, a long line of hungry students were waiting at the taco stand. Senior member Jes Wright explained that members of the club brought donations of taco shells, rice, beans, salsa, meat, sour cream, tomatoes, cheese, and lettuce fresh from Magnet’s Eat Dirt garden; “It was really really yummy,” she added. Tacos were sold $2 each or $3 for two. According to NSHS vice president Sloan Nietert, the club raised $165 to pay for club events and a special afterschool program for Liberty Hill students.

Students enjoyed the café atmosphere of the French breakfast and the festive atmosphere of Taco Day. To increase the success of food fundraisers, students also advised having a more visible advertising campaign with more announcements on digital media and more posters rather than just the daily announcements.

Lexi Chavin and Caroline Smith, senior members of FNHS, smile as they serve Magneteers.
Selina Pi