Academic Magnet vs BE Cancelled: Reactions

Eliot Leadem, Editor

The hyped up Academic Magnet vs. Bishop England rivalry game will be cancelled as a result of Charleston’s freak snowstorm that passed through on January 4, causing cancellations for all district schools for four days. The matchup, a spectacle to see every year, will not be rescheduled despite popular opinion. The Raptor fan base, more commonly known as the Birdcage, was hoping to storm BE (as usual) and watch the boys and girls’ teams steal the win on the road. Last year, Raptor fans packed the Academic Magnet gym only to see a near defeat, losing 55-47. With star shooter Bryson Rose back for his final season, the team was determined to avenge last year’s misfortune with a victory in their one matchup this year. Many fans are calling for an underground game to determine the winner of the Don Holt rivalry, a key game to many of the sports.

As a senior and attendee for Academic Magnet vs. BE for three consecutive years, it is upsetting to me that I won’t be able to watch the game one last time. I say this recognizing that these teams are more competitive than ever. Magnet starts three seniors in Thomas McNerney, Nahom Gebreselassie, and Bryson Rose, all of whom have had extensive experience on the varsity team. Bishop England is in a similar situation, yet is receiving young talent in sophomore guard Aidan McCool. Bishop England is ranked 148 in the state, having a record of 4-9 thus far in the season. Magnet holds a winning record of 8-6 but ranks 194 in the state. Senior guard and YouTube phenomenon Seth Dominiak responded to the cancellation: “I always look forward to this game every year, and it’s sad that we weren’t able to play them my senior year. Like and subscribe @Pack_A_Puncher.” Senior Ethan Bean had a less optimistic approach the situation, humorously noting, “It doesn’t surprise me. BE was obviously scared to play us, so they created a snowstorm with their rich money.”

Amidst calls to determine the victor, an underground game between the rivals is a very hopeful prospect. Spirit leader Will Donnellon reacted enthusiastically to the idea, remarking: “We will kick their butts on any court, on ground or underground. The Birdcage will travel anywhere to support our boys. If the game doesn’t get rescheduled, we will take matters into our own hands. Go Raptors.”

• Academic Magnet vs BE Cancelled: Reactions

News

The Golden State Implements Several New Laws

News

AP Capstone May Replace Senior Thesis

News

PyeongChang: The 2018 Winter Olympics

News

New Era of Online Payment

News

Super Bowl Commercial Recap

News

President Trump’s First State of the Union Address

News

Army of Survivors Confront Dr. Larry Nassar

News

Windfall from Tax Reform: Pay Raises, Bonuses, and Economic Investments

News

The Second Snow

News

School Shootings on the Rise in America: The facts and what you can do.