Girls Tennis and Their New Coach

Girls Tennis and Their New Coach

Mary Claire Newsom, Staff Writer

Last year, the girls tennis team won their in their region and was runner-up at state. This year, they hope to win region finals again and state finals with the help of their new coach, Ms. Hollabaugh. In past years the team has had around 14 people on the team, but because of last year’s success, the team had a big turn out at their tryouts with 23 people trying out for the tennis team. These 23 players include Abbi Hulsey, Mary Claire Newsom, Helena Upshaw, Tori Streetman, Sophie Estoppey, Aileen Shi, Caroline Young, Savannah Wray, Mina Schaafsma, Josephine Drake, Harrison Babb, Alaina Broomhall, Angela Li, Fernanda Salinas, Christie Tran, Lee Muirhead, Ruth Middleton, Lydia Cox, Frances O’Shea, Sophie Nguyen, Sonia, and Julia.

Coach Hollabaugh:

1.What inspired you to coach AMHS girls tennis?

I coached other sports such as swimming and wanted a chance to coach tennis. I am excited for the new experiences to come. 

2. Do you have any hobbies? Pets? What college did you attend and were you in a sorority?

I enjoy competitive swimming and on the weekends I manage a pool. During the school day, I teach physical education at Deer Park Middle School in North Charleston. In my free time, I love to play with my dog, Moose, an Anatolian shepherd. I actually went to high school at the School of the Arts. I graduated two years ago from USC and was in the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority.

3. What do you think the biggest obstacle will be while coaching this team?

I think the biggest obstacle will be playing the harder teams in the state and preparing for playoffs. This will require a lot of training and hopefully will take us to state finals. 

4. What is your favorite sport besides tennis?

Besides tennis, my favorite sports are swimming and soccer. I used to swim competitively in high school and I like to play soccer with my students at school. 

5. What are you most looking forward to?

I am looking forward to working hard with the team and their captains to go to state again this year and win!! 

6. How long do you plan to coach the team?

So far, I am having an awesome time and plan on being the girls tennis coach for as long as I can! I would eventually like to teach abroad but for now I would like to coach the team for as long as possible.