The Meteoric Rise of LaMelo Ball

Capers Borders, Staff Writer

This year LaMelo Ball has taken the internet and basketball world by storm. His team, the Chino Hills Huskies of Chino Hills CA, have currently have the No. 1 seed in the nation, flaunting an impressive undefeated record. Perhaps the biggest star of the Huskies team is LaMelo. After a freshman season of playing under his brother Lonzo, he was able to get the starting position this year. Starting at point guard sophomore year is impressive, but doing it for the number one team in the nation is on a completely different level.

LaMelo is a very talented point guard already receiving multiple Division 1 offers. Currently he is committed to UCLA as are the rest of his brothers. After all three were offered scholarships LaMelo’s freshman year and all brothers committed, Lamelo is now a sophomore, Liangelo a senior, and Lonzo is in his first year at UCLA. Of all three brothers many believe LaMelo has the greatest potential for success. LaMelo has incredible vision and averages a handful of assists and around 23 points per game.

Some have begun to question whether the 5’11 point guard will be able to succeed at the college level. However, with two years to grow in HS it seems as if his success will only continue. As Liangelo leaves at the end of the year, LeMelo will be left to take over for his last two seasons. If he is capable of taking over, his talent will leave him very prepared to play at the college level. While some of his flash may need to be toned down at the next level, it’s no question his vision and shooting ability are unparalleled and should help him succeed with the Bruins of UCLA.