Academic Magnet High School - North Charleston, South Carolina.

Women’s Lacrosse Spotlight

Find out the inside scoop about the lacrosse team!
Womens Lacrosse Spotlight

As Spring is upon us lots of exciting sports have begun. Some of these sports include soccer, baseball, softball, and last but definitely not least lacrosse!!! As the Academic Magnet Women’s Lacrosse Team season is underway they have had multiple games, practices, and team bonding activities. Since the team is so new there have already been 2 team bonding activities. First, the team got to do a private Works Cycle class led by their new coach and Works Cycle instructor, Coach Caroline! The team also did a bowling event with the boy’s team. Both teams went to the Alley and spent a few hours bowling and competing with each other. While there have already been some awesome events, there are even more to come! On March 15th the boys and girls teams will be attending the Stingrays Hockey Game! WHOOP! WHOOP! The teams are going to have a blast 🙌 🙌!  The team is also going to the RiverDogs game on April 7th. These teams will have so much fun at these events!

Coaches

Taylor Summers

Caroline Roncalli

Team Managers

Milla Broadwater

Laura Dailey

Seniors

Sophia LoCascio (CAPTAIN)

Holly Manning

Emerson Medlin

Louisa Mulvey (CAPTAIN)

Juniors

CC Champagne

Louisa Garrett

Chloe Trowman

Sousa Waggoner (CAPTAIN)

Street Wilson (CAPTAIN)

Sophomores

Maggie Conlon

Rowan Engelke

Caitlin Farr

Jill Gunn

Hayden Moody

Kate Stahle – Smith

Freshman

Mia Dewey

Wren Kennedy

Caroline Maiden

Lauren Schafer

Clementine Willard

Julia Dennie

Claire Livermore

Emma Miars 

This year the team is met with lots of new faces and some exciting changes! 

We have a bunch of new players that the team is SO excited about! We have junior Chloe Trowman, sophomores Rowan Engelke, Hayden Moody, and Maggie Conlon, and our eight freshmen. Shoutout to our only SOA player Maggie Conlon, sister to AMHS senior Alexa Conlon! We love to see a SOA Magnet collab. 

Coaches

This year the coaching roster has also seen a shift. Welcome to our two new coaches: Taylor Summers and Caroline Roncalli. Coach Summers played as an attacker at DePaw University and Coach Caroline played goalie at Sewanee. We love our new coaches and can’t wait to see how the season goes.

I really like the new coaches, because they’re really fun!

— Chloe Trowman

Senior spotlight

This year the team will have to say goodbye to four seniors. The seniors are Sophia LoCascio, Holly Manning, Emerson Medlin, and Louisa Mulvey! Seniors Sophia, Holly, and Louisa have been a part of the team since freshman year and this is their fourth season on varsity. These seniors have experienced three different coaches. First year they had Coach Kamp at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season Coaches Camille and Clara. For both their sophomore and junior years, the team had Coaches Camille and Clara. Finally, they get to experience Coach Summers and Coach Caroline for their senior year. Hopefully their senior year ends with a great season and some wins under their belts!

Practice Squad

This season there has also been the addition of a practice squad. With so many girls who wanted to play the sport, this squad gives the newer players the chance to gain experience and still play in some games. The practice squad participates in all the practices and will even play in some JV games. On the schedule this year there are both Junior Varsity and Varsity games.

The season so far!

So far the team has been met with three challenging games. On Friday the 23rd the team battled the battling Bishops for their first official game against Bishop England. While BE has a talented roster, our girls held their own and even scored against BE! Overall the team experienced an 18-1 loss, but they played well together and the defense greatly approved. On the 26th the team played the Wando Warriors at Wando’s home field. While this game was a tough 19-1 loss, our defense held its own, and Sophia LoCascio (senior captain) was able to score against them. For the first home game of the team played Porter- Gaud on Monday at home. While the team still suffered a loss, it was significantly less than the previous two games. The final score was 10-16, with Street Wilson scoring 5 of the points!! On Tuesday the team will be playing James Island. This game should be competitive as both our team and their team lost to Porter. EVERYONE COME SUPPORT THE TEAM AT THEIR SECOND HOME GAME!

The best game of the season …

Every year the boys and girls lacrosse teams come together to play one final game of lacrosse. These games are super fun, with some untraditional rules! First off boys and girls switch sticks!!! For those of you who don’t know boys and girls sticks are very different. The boy’s sticks have larger pockets (the thing that catches the ball), while the girl’s pockets are much smaller and harder to hold a ball in. Both teams also play by girl’s rules. Boys and girls lacrosse is very different. Boys are allowed to be much more aggressive, whereas girls cannot. Due to this, everyone must play by girl’s rules, which means boys can’t just shoot the ball from wherever they are and have to play a little safer. While this usually prevents injury, last season I got hit multiple times, and it was pretty painful. Overall these games are super fun though! It’s competitive and a fun farewell to the game for all the seniors.

Here is the team’s schedule!

*JV times are listed first, all games are varsity unless stated as JV*

Date Opponent Place Times
2/23 Bishop England Away 5:00 pm
2/26 Wando Away 6:00 pm
3/4 Porter-Gaud Home 5:00 pm
3/5  James Island Home 5:00 pm
3/9 Blufton Away 10:00 am
3/13 Wando Home 5:00 pm
3/14 May River Away 5:30 pm, 7:30 pm
3/16 Christ Church Away 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm
3/21 Phillip Simmons Away 5:30 pm
3/23 Hilton Head Away 12:00 pm
3/25 Waccamaw Away 6:00 pm
3/26 Phillip Simmons Away 6:00 pm
4/8 James Island Away 5:00 pm
4/11 Ashley Hall

🙌SENIOR NIGHT 🙌

Home 5:00 pm