The Oxford Dictionary Is Spicing Up Your Vocabulary

The 2023 Oxford Dictionary Words of The Year

Rizz, Charisma, Rizzly bear, and rizzing up are some common terms used to describe the action of attracting individuals based on your charm and style. Every year the Oxford Dictionary selects a word that represents the year’s terminology and for 2023 the esteemed dictionary chose the word Rizz. Their official definition is “someone’s ability to attract another person through style, charm, or attractiveness.” Rizz stems from the word charisma, as it represents the middle section of the word. Charisma, the more sophisticated form of Rizz can be defined as, “compelling charm that can inspire devotion from others.” If you are a good listener like me, you have probably heard this word more than once in the halls, outside of school, and especially on social media apps like Tiktok. When people say you have ultimate rizz, it means you are more than likely capable of making many different people attracted to you, due to your natural charm and appearance. Rizz can be associated with both genders; however, it is mostly associated with males whose friends encourage them to use it on girls. Although the word rizz makes people cringe more and more regularly, that does not mean it is leaving our daily vocabulary any time soon. The term rizz reached its peak in June this year due to an interview with teenage heartthrob Tom Holland in which he was asked about his amount of rizz. Due to him being such a humble individual he said “he had none whatsoever.”

Attached Below Are Some Responses From Your AMHS Raptors On Who Has The Most Rizz

• Max Peters has been characterized as a very handsome person who is able to take advantage of his natural rizz
  • James King received a lot of love from the Raptors as someone wrote a poem about his amazing rizz:
  • With one glance James makes all the girls swoon. With one motion of the hand all the girls come running towards him. Girls go to the sports events just to watch James play. Girls go to school just to see James in class. Girls get lost  in his curly hair. James drives all the girls crazy, especially when they watch him drive his Tacoma. To collect my thoughts James is the definite number one person when it comes to rizz.
  • Another man who made the poetry list is none other than Bradford “Ford” Martin:
    In the kingdom of charisma, a legend takes the stage, A name whispered in awe, setting hearts ablaze. Bradford Martin, a beacon of magnetic grace, Wherever he treads, a trail of rizz in his trace. With a smile that glows like the morning sun, A charisma that sparkles, second to none. In the dance of words, his eloquence thrives, In the realm of rizz, Bradford truly thrives. Through the corridors of life, he strides with flair, A symphony of charm, beyond compare. Each step, a rhythm, a magnetic dance, Bradford Martin, the maestro of chance. With a wit that dazzles, a humor so divine, In the garden of laughter, his laughter’s the vine. A storyteller weaving tales of delight, In the world of rizz, he takes his flight. In the canvas of moments, where memories are spun, Bradford Martin, a gallery of charisma, second to none. A masterpiece in motion, a portrait so rare, In the realm of rizz, he claims his share. Through challenges faced and victories won, Bradford Martin’s rizz, a radiant sun. In the tapestry of life, a vibrant thread, A symphony of influence, where he has led. So here’s to Bradford, the rizz maestro true, In the melody of life, his notes ring through. A legend of charisma, forever in bliss, In the grand opera of charm, Bradford has the most rizz.
  • The last person to receive a poem in their honor is Cole Davis:
    In the heart of whispers, where shadows play, A tale unfolds in the dusk’s soft array. Cole Davis’s rizz, a mystery spun, A dance of secrets beneath the moonlit sun. In the strands of his rizz, tales untold, A journey of stories, a history to unfold. Each curl, a chapter, woven with care, In the tapestry of time, a unique affair. Beneath the hat’s brim, where dreams may hide, Cole Davis’s rizz, a poetic guide. A cascade of locks, a flowing stream, Reflections of moments, like a vivid dream. Through city lights or a forest’s hush, In the strands of his rizz, a quiet shush. A narrative whispered in the wind’s soft sigh, In every coil, a piece of the sky. Oh, the tales it could tell, if only it might, Of adventures in day or secrets of night. Cole Davis’s rizz, a silent bard, Spinning tales of life, of times that marred. In every twist, a memory kept, A saga of life, in each strand adept. So, let the verses of his rizz be sung, In the ballad of time, where stories are strung.

In addition to rizz, The Oxford Dictionary listed some finalists for the word of the year including the term situationship. Situationship is used as a noun meaning “a romantic relationship that is not considered to be formal or established.” Situationships have become the new norm because they require less commitment to a significant other however there are still elements present of a stereotypical relationship. Situationships can make people upset because some people prefer for the other person to be as dedicated as they are, however situationships allow partners to not have an official definition of their relationship. Another runner up for Word of the Year is the term Swiftie, which is meant to describe the names of Pop Icon Taylor Swift’s fans. Due to the Eras tour taking a full swing on American pop culture and even global pop culture, the term has escalated in use. The Oxford Dictionary wishes to make it known that being a Swiftie means you are an enthusiastic fan of the singer, putting you one step above just an average fan. Other honorable mentions include beige flag, de-influencing, heat dome, and parasocial.

Thanks to the Oxford Dictionary for giving us a much needed recap on this year’s most popular phrases. If you have never heard of these words before, then now you have a good list of words you can use in sentences and conversations in need of spicing up. Knowing a lot of Magnet students though, I can say with confidence that most Academic Magnet Raptors have used the word rizz, once in their friendly conversations. Once again Raptors, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year hopefully filled with some masterful rizz.