Wandering and Walking in the AMHS Hallways

A Deep Dive Into Your Fellow Raptors Exploring The Hallways

How many times do you ever feel like your legs need to be stretched and your mind needs to be refreshed? Hey Raptors, this edition I went around as a hall monitor to observe and ask other hallways wanderers what makes those short walks so special. I asked some of your fellow raptor students and teachers what they think about hallway wandering.

Alexa Conlon-

When asked about how long she likes to wander, she said it depends on whether or not the class she is in has a lot or a little going on. If she has a busy class she will wander for 5 minutes and if she has a free period she will wander for 15 to 20 minutes. Alexa usually runs into Lukey Sutherland, Mr. Cosgrove, and Mr. Rush and Mr. Stackhouse as a duo. Alexa’s favorite place to wander is the computer and engineering hallway because she loves the light the windows produce and the more lively atmosphere they provide. Alexa’s favorite time to wander is when she needs to get out of the room to clear her head if she’s had a bad day. Alexa usually takes one large lap, however if she can she enjoys making two. Alexa likes to walk outside especially if there is nice weather or if she has a lot of time. The farthest Alexa has ever walked was to the SOA vending machine.

Dr. Lupo-

Every day, Dr. Lupo sees around 10 to 20 students in the hallways; however the numbers depend on the day. Usually during her planning period she sees newspaper staff members, like me, in the hallways. Dr. Lupo usually sees Mr. Cosgrove run around the hallway and sees Dr. Altman around the same time because of their similar planning periods. Dr. Lupo is a fellow wanderer as well as she says she can’t sit too long, and has to walk around to clear her head before doing work. She believes that exercise helps to keep her energy level from being productive and helps her to prevent any large amounts of nervous energy. When she walks around the school, she usually takes one or two laps around the campus. Dr. Lupo believes that walking on a treadmill is boring, and she would rather have scenery from nature on her walks. The farthest she has ever walked is to the neighborhood during her planning, or to CVS after school when she wanted to purchase a refreshment.

Wyatt Mahoney-

When wandering Wyatt usually walks for 5 to 10 minutes, however says that 10 minutes is pushing it. When wandering, Wyatt usually sees Dr. Lupo and Mr. Cosgrove. Wyatt’s favorite route is a loop around the hallways. Wandering helps provide relief from Wyatt’s boredom in class. If Wyatt is able to, he will take more than one lap. The farthest place Wyatt has ever walked on one of his adventures is to the library.

Chloe Carlsten-

Chloe usually goes on walks for as long as it is believable that she is in the bathroom; however, if she does not have anything going on in class, she will talk to her friends in the hallway. She usually sees Mr. Cosgrove, Lawton Harper, Connor Sawall, Gabby Do, and Thomas Martin. When walking, Chloe likes to take multiple laps, only when she does not have a lot of work. Sometimes, Chloe will walk outside during study hall to get a sense of fresh air. The farthest place she has ever walked is to the SOA vending machines.

Jason Gould-

Jason usually takes six to seven minute walks due to his dislike of being away from the classroom too long as it leaves him up to the criticism of his classmates and teachers. Jason usually sees Chloe Carlsten, Garrison Gray, and the fan favorite Mr. Cosgrove. Jason prefers to walk in building seven as it provides him enough distance; however, allows him enough room to get back to class if necessary. If Jason is outside of a ten classroom radius he begins to feel nervous. Jason attributes his walking to his going to bed late, as he has the same teacher for three classes and needs his walks to have a brain break when he has limited sleep. Jason says he usually takes multiple laps, especially in the morning. Jason says outside is too far away to walk as people can see you when you are in the courtyard. The farthest Jason has ever walked is to the SOA theater and the SOA theater restroom.

Thomas Martin and Gabby Do-

The pair says on average they usually walk for about an hour everyday. While on their walks they usually see Zerbst, Cosgrove, and Logan Burns. Their favorite place to visit is the junior lounge, so they can talk and catch up on their newest life adventures. The couple says they usually go on an average of three laps each trip and the farthest they have ever walked is to the library.

Zuriel Nyamutsaka-

The Best Way to Wander is to Follow the Air Currents

— Zuriel Nyamutsaka

Zuriel says that when it comes to his hallway wandering, his walks vary from class to class as his walks are usually ten minutes; however, if it is a hard class, then he does not want to be away for too long. Zuriel says the best place to walk is upstairs as it houses multiple different lounges to visit. Wandering is an art form according to Zuriel, as you have to have a plan and look like you are going somewhere. For example, he says the best time is the last third of class and he says that you should never go somewhere without a sheet of paper or a pencil, as you never want to wander empty handed. Zuriel describes a good wander as a snack, some water, two trips to the bathroom, and a lap around the school. He says the person he always sees is Blake Yarbourough at 11 on A days. Zuriel also frequently enjoys visiting Mrs. Ryan downstairs.  The best analogy he uses when describing wandering is “following the air currents of the school”.