The Anatomy Oscars: A Synopsis

A Sufficient Review of a Future AMHS Anatomy Class Tradition

On Friday, February 17, students in Mr. McCormicks 2B anatomy class were given a task: produce a 3-4 minute film which encapsulates the twelve cranial nerves. The class was split into groups of around four people; everyone was pretty thrilled for the assignment. Students were required to include the location, using a diagram, number (in order), and function for each cranial nerve. For those who may not know, there are twelve cranial nerves, and they go in the order:

I. Olfactory
II. Ocular
III. Oculomotor
IV. Trochlear
V. Trigeminal
VI. Abducens
VII. Facial
VIII. Vestibulocochlear/Acoustic
IX. Glossopharyngeal
X. Vagus
XI. Accessory (Spinal Accessory)
XII. Hypoglossal

There were six groups; each went hard at work writing out lyrics which (somehow) compiled these extraneous terms. Mr.McCormick luckily gave each group two full class periods to work on lyrics and videos. The first day of preparation was largely a brainstorming day. Groups began to determine which beat they should use and what their chorus was going to be. Some groups went with classic, hip-hop beats, while others went with rap beats. The main goal for the beat was that it was at least three minutes long.

Students were also encouraged to bring food; there would be a brunch on the day of the Oscars: Monday, February 27th. A fantastic rule that Mr.McCormick implemented was that to eat food, students must bring food. When Monday came, there was loads of food. Students came prepared with donuts, Chick-Fil-A chicken minis, cookies, cakes, sparkling ciders, oranges juice, apple juice, and about any other sweet you can think of.

Prior to the beginning of the video presentations, groups were chosen at random (by dice) to grab plates at food. Some classmates went straight for the mimosas (orange juice and sparkling cider) while others were craving the chicken minis. Many groups filled up secondary plates with chips and salsa to chow down on during the music videos.

When the Oscars finally began, there were a few technical difficulties (CCSD wifi), but the room was electric. Each group wanted to see other groups’ videos—but not their own. The two common mistakes that most groups made were filming their videos vertically and not recording the audio separately. A vertical video leaves two large black rectangles on either side of the smart board, while a non-separate audio makes the sound less clear.

After each of the videos were watched, the voting began. In an *almost* unanimous fashion, table six consisting of Ransome Hudson, Laura Robertson, Boris Pekar, and myself, brought home the trophy. The video can be found here.

Shoutout to Mr. McCormick

Overall, the assignment was thrilling and educational, so shout out to Mr. McCormick. We hope the Oscars can become a tradition!