Third Place in Spirit, First Place in Age

In the wake of the recent Spirit Week upset, the Class of 2017 has been set ablaze with contrasting opinions about the decision to reward the seniors with third place designation for their efforts. Since it is expected that the young men and women of the twelfth grade are to win first place easily, many people felt cheated of their recognition. This being said, many other seniors expressed apathy for the situation. Regardless of how you feel, it is safe to say the talk of eldest students of Academic Magnet has been quite polarized.

Nate LeRoy: People can’t be mad about the outcome unless they legitimately thought our wall was better than the classes that beat us.

Capers Borders: The juniors deserved to win because their wall and theme was better than ours.

Hannah Reed: We didn’t deserve first because not everyone helped decorate the wall, but I think we should have beaten the sophomores since we had more people dress up throughout the week.

Samantha Moody: While we had strong competition, I felt our wall, with all its awesome pieces and intricate details, was the best out of the four. I feel as if many of the tradition previous seniors were allowed to do have been banned for us even though we have earned them just as much as they have. This being said, spirit week is supposed to be about coming together as a grade, but I feel the widespread apathy towards the tradition in the Class of 2017 also contributed to the loss. 

(You can tell by some of these quotes what was a big contributor to our loss.)

Paul Whitaker: We may have lost the wall, but we are still older than everyone else.

Maya Haley: I am glad it is over. I admire those who chose to put the effort into decorating, but I don’t really care that we lost.

Jack Heeke: I would accept our defeat if it was genuinely true that the grades who beat us had better walls, but they didn’t. What an outrage.

Sam Austin: I hate to be that guy, but we really didn’t deserve to win.

Chris Diamond: There are more important things in life than blowing whistles, stealing stuff, and running onto a court.

Jacob Lipton: Looks like our theme was trash after all.

Though the Class of 2017 may be wrought with outrage indicated by the previous excerpts, it is important to remember that Spirit Week is merely a tradition upheld by the administration and faculty of Academic Magnet to allow the students to have fun. You tell me another school that allows its students to bring a large speaker into school and blare bass-heavy music in celebration of a sports team.

Yes, it is true that we are not allowed to run through the halls, deafen students with whistles, and terrorize underclassmen anymore, but we still are allowed to partake in one of the most unique traditions any high school has to offer. So regardless of your opinion about the loss, I believe we should be thankful for our four fun years at AMHS.