Fall ’22 Hallway Fashion

With fall right around the corner, most fashion brands have released their fall/winter 2022/23 collections. In this article I will evaluate the most prominent thread patterns and trends in the world of fall fashion right now, within not only fashion houses and haute couture runways, but within our own halls right here at Academic Magnet. What is prevalent right now in the industry? How is it shown within our own students here, if at all? What are our own fall fashion trends here?  Let’s evaluate. 

According to Vogue magazine, the two most prominent fall street style factors this year are/will be western-style influences and bright colors. Specifically, zesty oranges, lime greens, and deep blues. The article also placed emphasis on the rise of “barbiecore” fashion, with the recent rise in press coverage around the new Barbie movie. In terms of garments, Vogue believes that blazers, maxi dresses, knitwear, and colorful pants are in this fall. 

With emphasis in the street style fashion world on “model off duty” styles right now, certain it-girls characterize everyday wear.  The model off duty style sometimes is influenced by western fashion (like cowboy boots), so I can see how that may come into play this fall. Also, I think we will see a prominence of cargo pants for this reason. 

Let’s see now what our students are doing.  

Freshman Zuriel Nyamutsaka sports dad jeans, a color block bomber jacket, and a handmade crochet hat on this Friday afternoon, a unique look that has personality. I asked Zuriel as well as some other students a few questions about their personal style and opinions on fall fashion. Here’s what Zuriel said.

Do you modify your style for the seasons(fall)? If so, how?

“No.” 

What colors are you into wearing right now?

“Black and blue.”

What do you think could be prevalent in the fashion scene this fall?

“Khakis.” 

Sophomore Anya Podolsky wears a monochrome gray sweatshort/sweatshirt  look this Wednesday.

“Yes, obviously for the weather, and my color palette changes.”

“Brown.” 

Do you prefer first hand or second hand shopping?

“Second hand. For the environment and it’s more unique.” 

“Gold jewelry, the typical fall color palette, and boot cut/flare jeans.”

Junior Ava Maile wears gray sweats with monochrome lace tank and zip-up.

“Yes. More brown, more hair down, less jewelry, more sweats.”

“Brown, white, pink, and green.”

Who is your style inspo right now?

“Pinterest. Or Amelie Zilber.”

“First hand, I’ve always had bad luck thrifting.”

“Leg warmers, boleros, big pants, and Bella Swan vibes.”

Senior Robin Adams gives us school girl chic on this Friday afternoon with a mini skirt, button down, and sneakers. 

“Yes, when it gets colder I like to layer more. In fall I like wearing more flannels, baggy jeans, and crewnecks. Occasionally I might throw in some tights with a skirt.”

“Light blue and bright red.”

Who is your style inspo right now?

“Coastal grandma.”

“Second hand. It’s more fun, but realistically I do more shopping at regular stores. I wish there were more thrift options near me.”

“I think this fall people might be doing oversized cardigans and baggy jeans again. I don’t foresee anything crazy different though. Maybe some more scarves.”

Thanks to everyone who participated for giving us some very illuminating responses. It seems that the biggest trend of the fall at Academic Magnet is the color brown. In terms of alignment with what Vogue says is “in” this fall, we didn’t hit the mark. Except for maybe some model off duty influences and knitwear. What does this mean? Are we behind the curve? 

In my opinion, the one trend you can’t go wrong with this fall is second hand shopping. There is no greater service you can do to the fashion industry, and to your wardrobe. You, your unique self, and your unique second-hand picks are never out of style. 

Actually, another trend you can never go wrong with is, simply, doing whatever you want. I’ve never been a huge believer in seasonal style changes. Of course there are exceptions, it is only necessary for a sophisticated high fashion house. But in our world, the day-to-day, the power truly lies in you.