Student Bill of Rights – Vote Now!

AMHS Students in Spanish 3 Classroom with Teacher Linda Colon. Photo Credit: The Post and Courier

The United States Bill of Rights was written by James Madison in 1789 in response to calls from several states for greater constitutional protection for individual liberties.

But where’s the Student Voice? Where are the rights of young people and students specifically mentioned in the constitution? Unfortunately they are not outlined…before now!

As the ones who know most how education affects them, South Carolina students will have the chance to shape an upcoming potential question for the February 13 Presidential debate. Student Space and Student Voice, two nonprofits led by young people who work to make students’ voices heard, have partnered to suggest education-related questions to debate moderator John Dickerson. This question will be created from data gathered from South Carolina students via the online Student Bill of Rights survey, a collection of twelve rights such as Institutional Agency,Diversity and Inclusivity, and Fair Assessment, among others. Utilizing the online platform at sturights.org, students can vote for the rights that they want in school by this Friday, January 22.

Click HERE to vote on what you think should be included in the Student Bill of Rights.

The possibilities are (you VOTE on three):

INFORMATION AND PRIVACY

PERSONAL LEARNING

SAFETY AND WELLBEING

EMPLOYABILITY

ACCESS AND AFFORDABILITY

CIVIC PARTICIPATION

FAIR ASSESSMENT

DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVITY

DUE PROCESS

TECHNOLOGY

INSTITUTIONAL AGENCY

FREE EXPRESSION

Please share with your friends!