Softball Spotlight

2024 Raptors Swinging into the Spring Season
Softball Spotlight

RAPTORS WAKE UP! It is Softball season!

Your 2024 Raptor Softball team is excited about the upcoming winning season. Our team is coached by legendary SOA middle school biology teacher and Raptor Mens Basketball coach, Brett Johnsen, and SOA art teacher, Hailee Potter. The senior captains are 2 of my favorite people, Embre Slack (12) and Aislynn Piihl (12). All of our home games are played at Shipyard Park in Mount Pleasant so look out for our game times and opponents on the Week in Raptor Athletics Schedule. We have a few weeks until our first game but practices are looking promising.

Besides our two senior captains, we have two other seniors on our team. One of them is myself, and the other is Abby Brauchle, some of you may know her from being a star on the women’s basketball team. I took a much-needed break last high school season; however, I am so happy to be back for my senior season. Abby Brauchle may have just finished basketball season but is ready to get on the clay, or should I say turf. Aislynn and Embre have dedicated their four years of high school to the softball team and deserve a great winning senior season.

We are welcoming two School of the Arts softballers this year. The youngest player on the team is Claire, who is a 7th grader from SOA Middle School. Claire has five years of experience as a pitcher and first baseman. She is looking forward to team bonding and learning from the older girls. We have one other SOA player, 10th grader Cameron is returning to the team for her second year. Cameron is an outfielder and is hoping to make her way into the infield this year. She is looking forward to making more memories with her teammates on the field.

Now for the only freshman on the team this year, Brianna Robinson. Brianna and I play for the same club organization and also go to the same hitting coach, shoutout to him cause he reads the Talon. She is going to be our ace in the circle and a key to our infield at 1st and 3rd. She has a hot bat and I’m hoping she hits some homers this year. She is looking forward to a fun season and “getting some dubs.”

We also have a solo sophomore, Elena Barber; yes, we have the same name just spelled differently. Elena is returning for her second year for Raptors softball as a pitcher and second baseman. She is looking forward to making some epic plays and getting to know her new and old teammates even more. But most importantly “winning a game this year!” I have a pretty good feeling about this one.

We have two juniors on the team, one returning and one new. Brooke (11) is returning for her 3rd year as a member of the AMHS Softball team. She plays outfield and is looking forward to getting to know her new teammates. Bella (11) comes to AMHS as a former West Ashley Wildcat and was a member of their softball team for 1 year. She is a catcher/utility player who comes with travel softball experience. She is looking forward to being back on the softball field again.

STEVE SLACK IMAGES!!!! Coach Johnsen, Elaina Seymour, Aislynn Piihl, Embre Slack (left to right)

Now for your Raptor Softball Class of 2024 Seniors! First up the captains. Aislynn Piihl (12) has been a member of AMHS Softball for 4 years and has 7 total years of experience. She is a strong infielder with a great bat. Aislynn is looking forward to winning at least one game this year and improving from previous years’ records. Our second captain is Embre Slack (12) who shines as our catcher behind the plate. Despite being voluntold to catch as a sophomore, she has accepted the responsibility and exceeded our expectations. She has also been a member of AMHS Softball for 4 years and has a total of 8 years of experience. She is looking forward to beating everyone

“cause they sleep on us.”

— Embre Slack (12)

Our third senior is Abby Brauchle (12) who some of you may recognize from her being a part of the AMHS Varsity women’s Basketball team. Abby has 3 years of experience on the dirt and is excited for a great senior year. She is looking forward to winning some games this year, if you can not tell, winning seems to be a common theme. Now for the last Senior, myself. I could not tell you exactly how many years I have been playing softball, but it has been a long time. I am looking forward to being back on the team for my final season and dominating our region this year!!!

We are welcoming a new assistant coach to the team this year, SOA Art Teacher, Coach Potter. She is looking forward to having a super fun season and getting to know all of us girls. This is her first year as an AMHS Softball coach and loves getting to know all of the girls more each day of practice. She thinks that we are “going to dominate this season, ” watch out opponents we are ready for you. Our legendary Head Coach is Coach Johnsen, who some may also know from his time as the varsity men’s Basketball Coach.  Coach Johnsen is excited to have a new assistant coach this year and to have fun “on the diamond with a new group of girls.” He is excited for more competitive games and hopes for a good season with “a strong senior class and incoming pitching.”

Our season opener is in one week, check out our schedule below and come out to a game or two. All of our games will be played at Shipyard Park in Mount Pleasant.

March 4 @5:30: Away vs Charleston Math and Science

March 11 @6: Home vs Charleston Math and Science

March 19 @5:30: Home vs Oceanside (DOUBLE HEADER)

March 26 @6: Home vs Lake Marion

March 27 @6: Home vs Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy

March 29 @6: Away vs Lake Marion

April 9 @6: Home vs Timberland

April 12 @6: Away vs Timberland

April 15 @6: Home vs Phillip Simmons (SENIOR NIGHT!)

April 17 @6: Away vs Phillip Simmons

April 23 @5: Away vs St. John’s Christian High School (DOUBLE HEADER)

Go follow our Instagram @amhs_softball and our TikTok @amhs_softball. Wish us luck this season and I hope to see everyone at a game this year, especially you Mount Pleasanters!