Academic Magnet High School - North Charleston, South Carolina.

A Guide to Being 100% Committed

How do you choose where to go to college?

When scrolling through college commitment pages, it is frustrating to see the line: “I am not 100% committed, but it is one of my top choices.” Choosing a college is extremely difficult for most people. There are so many factors to consider when making a decision that will define the next four years and shape your entire future. While many AMHS seniors have not chosen their college yet, several have. Therefore, I decided to reach out to them to see how they decided. 

Cliffie Manuel: Washington & Lee

Cliffie liked W&L because it is a small school in a state she loves and is familiar with; her parents went to W&L, and her sister, Lucy, attends UVA. While she was also considering the University of Virginia and Wake Forest, she had the most fun at W&L. Cliffie is looking forward to being close to her sister. 

Addie Hanna: Clemson University Honors College 

Addie chose Clemson because it is a big school with a strong football program. Like Cliffie, her parents also went there, so she has always been a huge fan. Addie was looking at the University of Georgia and Wake Forest, but she ultimately decided on Clemson when she got into their competitive honors program. 

Coltraine Margosian: Boston University 

While Coltraine was also considering Northeastern, he chose to ED at Boston University. He liked the strength of their computer science department, which he believed would best prepare him for his future. He also loved the diversity of both the student body and the city as a whole. Finally, BU was the best campus he toured; the school is in an urban environment but still holds charm. 

Burton McCulley: University of Virginia

After visiting Magnet alum Kate Walldorf during the Halloweekend of junior year, Burton knew that UVA was the school for her. She really liked the campus; specifically, how walkable it is. Burton opted for Early Decision because she liked knowing earlier that she was in. 

Wyatt Mahoney: University of Georgia 

Wyatt chose UGA because he wanted a big school that was good for his major. Although he was also considering the University of Tennessee, the University of Arizona, Indiana University, and Virginia Tech, he always knew that if he got into UGA, it would be the school he would attend. Wyatt also liked that it is a good distance from home; it is far but drivable. Finally, he liked that UGA has a really good football program. 

Emma Herrin: Wofford College

Emma decided on Wofford because she liked the small class size and how pretty the campus was. Additionally, as her older sister goes there, she got to spend a lot of time on campus and see what it was really like. She chose Early Decision because she knew that she did not want to wait longer to find out, and that Wofford was her top choice. Emma is most looking forward to the college’s interim, in the month of January, where most people study abroad or take fun classes for three weeks.

I hope that this article helps and reminds this year’s seniors, and the seniors in the years that follow, to observe and analyze all aspects of a college before making their final decision. Talking to these seniors really helped me realize what I need to take into account when picking a school. Follow @amhsdecisions on Instagram to keep up to date with the class of 2024’s decisions!