SOA’s students are “Not ‘A’ Distraction”

Students are in an uproar after a new dress code enforcement policy was enacted at School of the Arts earlier this week. The policy, which removes students from class if they are breaking CCSD’s dress code (or a teacher simply deems their clothing a distraction), has many students feeling objectified or victimized.  Students also feel that their education is taking a back seat to their school wardrobe. According to the CCSD dress code policy, inappropriate dress may include “Short shorts or skirts (shorter than mid-thigh), see-through clothing, [and/or] halter tops, strapless tops, bare-shouldered tops, or spaghetti straps”.12032401_399819273556857_772854541_n
A Facebook event page has sprung up in response to the new policy, which urged students to wear scarlet “A”s and comfortable clothing to school on Thursday (the 23rd) in protest. SOA high schooler Reese Fischer, who organized the event, stated that “many students find it incredibly offensive that their outfits are being held at a higher importance than their education. Many ideas have been tossed around about how to let admin know that we are dissatisfied with the way they’re handling dress code violations”. Eventually, the idea of incorporating the red “A”s into outfits was born. This was chosen due to it’s symbolism for sin and sexuality (a nod towards Hester Prynne of The Scarlet Letter ).

As with any movement, there are both avid advocates and naysayers. Scrolling through the Facebook page, there is an overwhelming volume of support for the cause from both male and female students. One male student wrote “I have no means of making an ‘A’ for 12042293_399819270223524_1950640905_nmy clothing, but you guys are courageous for what you’re doing, and you have my full support, and I hope that this is as successful as you want it to be!”.  Outside of
the private page however, there are critics. Many people think that the issue is petty, pointing out that “There are thousands upon thousands of women across the world that don’t even have the right to an education. . . You’re not a hero by wearing only a thong and see-through shirt to school. You wanna become a hero? Put your education first, above other petty policies” (anonymous).

12042029_399819260223525_1229408883_nSOA Junior Jordan Stuckey sums up  the movement perfectly, writing; “It’s not about wanting to be able to break dress code. It’s about mutual respect for the rights of the individual education and the understanding that some things are more important than regulating the clothing we wear. I would also like to reinforce the idea that this is a PEACEFUL protest and doing anything like acting out by breaking rules is only going to make us look bad. Be polite, be respectful, but most importantly be an advocate for your beliefs.”

Photo Credit to Olive Rentz