Academic Magnet High School - North Charleston, South Carolina.

Meet the 2023 Swim Teams

Take a dive into the 2023 AMHS Swim Teams.

Overview 

As Raptor fall sports continue to progress into the 2023 season, the girls and boys swim teams are looking forward to excellence with a large group of seniors and a profoundly skilled group of underclassmen. Both teams performed with a strong finish to the 2022 season. The girls placed fifth with a total score of 217 and the boys placed third with 340 points. This year, both teams are looking promising and are ready to advance even further. 

Team bus rides rock!

In the spirit of getting to know the swim team, we asked a few swimmers a series of questions that included: 

1. What is your favorite team tradition?
  2. What is your favorite part of practice?
  3. What is your favorite pre-meet meal?
  4. What is your go-to song to get hyped for a meet?
  5. What is your expectation for the rest of the season?

First up, Senior, Jason Gould, enlightens us with his thoughts from his experience on the team. Jason’s favorite team tradition is “when everyone just shows up at the Tropical Smoothie before the Daniel Island Meet. It’s not even planned or anything. It’s just expected that we will end up there.” Jason, a relaxed guy, finds the most joy in practice towards the end, during the “warm down.” Jason really takes his pre-game nutrition seriously, dining at either Moe’s or Wendy’s, both known for having great food to eat before you swim. Jason gets locked in with the song Even Flow by Pearl Jam before big meets. Jason is hoping and predicting that the state meet will be a success for the team but will be thrilled no matter the result.

“Swim is great but nowadays it is really cold in the pool.” – Jason Gould

Next, we talked with Senior and team leader, Wilson Burns. He has been on the team for four years and swam club for much of his life. His favorite team tradition is the annual round of mini-golf that the team plays together after the state meet. Due to Wilson’s competitive nature and a need for speed, his favorite part of practice is racing against his teammates. His favorite pregame meal is a simple Pub-Sub and Capri-Sun. Wilson is a big believer in his pregame routine, locking in and listening to music is a key part of that. The song that gets him in the zone is My (Stuff) by A Boogie. Wilson predicted a successful end to his varsity swimming career with the Boy’s Team getting a clean sweep over regional rivals: Oceanside and Bishop England.

Our Raptor Swimmers in action!

Additionally, from another senior, Harrison Shaw: Harrisons favorite team tradition is playing water polo during tapering week before states. His favorite part of practice is doing deadbugs at the end of dryland. As far as premeet meals go, Harrison definitely has a unique one; he enjoys a tasty chicken parmesan with a Fairlife protein shake to wash it all down. Yum. In order to hype Harrison pumps up listening to “Took Her to the O” by King Von. Lastly, Harrison has positive hopes for the remainder of the season; he expects to win region and place top 3 at states. 

To represent some female power, next up is senior, Maryn Tombs. Maryn’s favorite team tradition is making the underclassmen out the lane lines in. Her favorite part of practice is when they play water polo. When it comes to pregame munchies, Maryn keeps it simple and healthy with a classic smoothie. When preparing for a meet, Maryn jams out to Taylor Swift or Rihanna. Moreover, her expectations for the rest of the season is to hopefully swim well at state, and have one of the girls’ relays make the podium.

Finally, we spoke with a rising talent: Sophomore, Cameron Blessinger. This is his second year on the team and will give insight into the perspective of an underclassman on the team. His favorite tradition is when the pressure is high, which is the travel invitational in Greenville. He also notes that this travel event brings the team together well. Cameron’s favorite part of practice is when the team goes on runs, something I wouldn’t think would be popular. Similarly to Wilson, Cameron likes team meals from Publix. The song that gets Cameron ready to swim his fastest is Skee Yee by Sexyy Red. Cameron, with optimism, predicts a state championship for the Boy’s team. 

Senior Night 

Seniors charging up for a dip into the pool on senior night.

The Swim team has a unique tradition on their Senior Nights. This year, the Raptors celebrated Seniors on 9/19 with a big win against Oceanside, Charleston Math and Science, West Ashley, and Ashley Hall. Senior swimmers wore Hawaiian attire, following the team’s annual tradition of selecting a costume theme for the Seniors. Another practice of the team involves a “Senior Swim” event, during which the seniors simultaneously dive into the pool and swim a lap after being introduced. Senior team member Jason Gould reflects, “it is a bit awkward waiting on the diving block as everyone’s being talked about.” The Seniors on the team are Warren Cohn, Gannon Rose, Laura Dailey, Michael Lee, Skyler Weiss, Chase Dillon, Harrison Shaw, Maryn Tombs, Jason Gould, Wilson Burns, and Ella Moore. 

Girl’s Roster: 

Marly Abdelmalek, Rachael Agudelo, Elena Barber, Sophia Barden, Finley Bowers, Lily Burnette, Katie Childers, Laura Dailey, Hayes DeArellano, Mia Esposito, Katie Griggs, Lindsay Gunn, Whitney Gwisc, Sarah Gray Heinemann, Chloe Hwang, Isa Jickling, Julia Koch, Maggie Largent, Ella Moore, Anita Merin-John, Gabbi Perrone, Julia Schady, Elizabeth Sprouse, Judith Suttle, Maryn Tombs, Brooks Traugott, Isabella Traxler, Mery Traxler, Mia Vlahos, Skylar Vlahos, and Carla Woolum

Men’s Roster:

Tyler Altman, Cameron Blessinger, Wilson Burns, Jack Childers, Warren Cohn, Finley Connors, Chase Dillon, Ford Simon, Abbott Fowler, Jason Gould, Parker Hamilton, Daniel Kagan, Brayden Knauer, Gabriel Kuprel, Michael LaPosta, Michael Lee, Connor Li, Niko Mackie, Steven Moody, Tyler Nelson, Sawyer Quertermous, Gannon Quertermous, Gannon Rose, Joey Schady, Harrison Shaw, Fletch Thurmond, Max Tippey, Jack Troy, Nathan Wright, Yidong Ye and Yiqing Ye. 

Schedule 

Although the season is coming to a close, here is the full schedule including previous meets and upcoming meets: 

August 8th 2023 at 8:00 am @ Portwe Gaud 

September 9th 2023 at 8:00 am @ Ashley Ridge 

September 12th 2023 at 5:00 pm @ Bishop England

September 16th 2023 at 10:00 am @ Wando, Westwood, and West Ashley

September 19th 2023 at 5:00 pm @ Oceanside and Charleston Math and Science *Senior Night

September 23rd at 10:00 am @ Warrior Invitational in Duncan SC

October 3rd 2023 at 5:00 pm @ Ashley Ridge

October 7th 2023 Region Meet 

October 14th 2023 at the University of South Carolina pool – State Meet (girls)

October 16th 2023 at the University of South Carolina pool – State Meet (boys)