Academic Magnet High School - North Charleston, South Carolina.

Bonds Wilson Hot Takes

Do the Artists and Nerds Know Ball?
Garrison Gray (11) Connor Sawall (12)

Personally, my favorite part of sports is making claims/takes that are so outrageous that the community attacks you personally. Whether I say “Kobe isn’t a top ten NBA player of all time”, or “Barry Bonds is the greatest MLB player of all time”, most people will disagree. Let’s hear the “hot takes” around the Bonds Wilson campus.

NFL

Xander D’Arcy 12th: I do not look like Trevor Lawrence

Xander, you absolutely look like Trevor Lawrence… you’re tall with long blonde hair, that’s an easy comparison.

Talia Barsness 11th: Connor I’m so sorry but I cannot for the life of me figure out football like it’s genuinely the most confusing thing on earth. I’ve had multiple sit down talks with my dad where he tries to explain fb to me and I can’t seem to grasp it. I understand that there’s more confusing scoring in different sports but like what the heck is a first down like I just don’t understand I’m sorry.

That’s okay Talia! Here are some basics:  You have 4 plays to get 10 yards which will give you a first down or the drive is

Talia Barsness

over. A touchdown is worth six points, an extra point is worth one, a field goal is worth three, and I feel like a 2-pt conversion is pretty self-explanatory. If you would like to know more, I very much enjoy football and would be willing to explain more but I am unfortunately not able to write another almost 3,000-word article.

Reece Early 11th: The Giants will finish with 3 wins this season.

While the Giants are pretty bad, I think they’ll finish with 6-9 wins this season. The offensive line is holding them back massively and it proves they need Saquon. Not a bad take though, they’re in a very tough division, and more crazy has happened.

Simon Halberta 9th: Drew Brees is a top 3 QB of all time.

Simon… YOU COOKED. This is a BURNING hot take and it’s an outstanding one. Brees finished his career with close to 80,000 passing yards and was three shy of 550 passing touchdowns. His 93.7 QBR ranks 7th all-time amongst QBs. While he does not have an MVP which really hurts his case, he’s top 2 in about every major passing statistic behind my glorious king Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. Brees also has a Super Bowl win and a Super Bowl MVP. Great take Simon.

College

Wyatt Mahoney 12th: The Big 10 and Pac 12 are both better conferences than the SEC this year

With SEC bias being as big as it ever has been, I love this take. Wyatt states, “Georgia is the only legit team in the SEC this year for the natty. Big 10 and Pac 12 both have 3 each. I also think the argument that people make that there are no bad teams in the SEC is really stupid.” I completely agree, the SEC has been very overrated this year, with schools like Alabama, LSU, Tennesee, Florida, and South Carolina significantly underperforming.

Andrew Wohlfeil 9th: College basketball and football are much better than their professional counterparts

I halfway agree, I do agree that CFB is better than the NFL but I usually prefer the NBA more. College basketball has yet to evolve and it shows through the low-scoring matches.

Harrison Crites 12th & William Warnock 9th: Spencer Rattler is a top 3 QB in CFB and should be a Heisman candidate.

This is a very hot take but I honestly disagree. I feel Rattler is a top-ten QB but I just do not feel like I can put Rattler ahead of Quinn Ewers, Caleb Williams, Micheal Penix Jr, Cam Ward, Shadeur Sanders, Cam Rising, and a few more. He will not be a Heisman candidate.

Anson Harrison 9th: Stetson Bennett is a top 10 or 5 college QB of all time.

Anson, I’m not gonna entertain this take it is so cold. Seriously what made you feel like Mr.Retirement Home is even top fifty of all time…

Jack Kieffer 11th: Kyle McCord is the only thing stopping Ohio State from winning the national championship

I honestly disagree, in my opinion, Ryan Day is holding Ohio State back from the natty sweepstakes.

Reed Clendaniel 10th: Dabo Swinney gets fired at the end of the year

Reed this is an awful take. Only a South Carolina fan would say this

NBA

Ben Brock 12: Celtics miss the playoffs

Landen Stowe and Ben Brock

For those who do not know Ben, he thinks the Hawks win the East. That’s all I have to say about this.

Landen Stowe 12: Lebron James may not be top ten in the current NBA

THIS TAKE IS STEAMING, but I completely agree, while he’s still an outstanding player; we can see his regression start. I’ll give it two to three more years before he retires.

Matthew Semenoff 10th: Greg Oden was not a bust

While he showed good potential when he was on the court, you can not say a first-overall pick that missed more games than played is not a bust. Especially when the guy drafted after you is Kevin Durant.

Jose Revuelta 11: The Miami Heat can still win the finals without acquiring Damian Lillard

I want to say this is a terrible take, but I’ll never count out Jimmy Butler. Spoelstra always finds a way to turn G Leaguers into major bench players, so I’ll say it is possible but unlikely.

Others

Garrison Gray 11th: Malaysia has the best cricket team in the entire WORLD

Garrison Gray (right)

I 100% agree Garrison!!!

Sam Solari 11th: Boston is the greatest US sports city of all time (including the big 4 US sports: Football, Baseball, Hockey, and Basketball).

Unless one is a fan, more than likely one will hate Boston sports, which is why I’ll agree this is a hot take. Only 3 sports cities should be taken into consideration for this; New York, Boston, and LA. New York holds the most titles, but I completely agree that Boston is the greatest city due to the fact New York has eleven major teams,

Sam Solari

while Boston only 4. LA has fewer titles than both and more teams than Boston so they sit in third. New York has 65 titles amongst 11 teams giving them an average of 5.9 titles per team. Boston has 40 titles amongst 4 teams giving them an average of 10 titles per team.

Teachers/Faculty

Ms.Orr: Steelers are winning the Super Bowl

Disagree.

Mrs.Metzner-Roop: Ms.Orr is delusional

Agree!

Mr.Cosgrove: Dorian Thompson-Robinson and Tyson Bagent will replace Deshaun Watson and Justin Fields

I like this take, but I’ll have to disagree. The Browns have put too much money into Watson to give up on him this year. I also think the Bears will not bench Fields dude to him being their “future”.

My Hot Takes

I wanted to leave y’all with my 10 biggest/favorite hot takes. These are in no particular order:

• Kobe Bryant is not a top-ten NBA player of all time and is barely a top-fifteen player.

• Despite his LEGAL steroid use, Barry Bonds is the greatest MLB player of all time.

• The Celtics will regress without Marcus Smart in the regular season but will find more success in the playoffs; bringing home their 18th championship title.

• It is time for the Patriots to move on from Bill Belichick.

• The Commanders need to stick with Sam Howell and build around him rather than targeting QB in the next draft.

• Clemson is not on the decline, they have their biggest needs incoming and are actually trending upwards.

• Stephen Curry is a top-ten player ever due to his impact on the way basketball is played today as well as his highly impressive career.

• The only running backs in the NFL that deserve their contract are Christian McCaffery and Nick Chubb.

• Desmond Ridder will figure out his struggles and finish the season as a top-20 QB.

• The 2021 Red Sox team is the best underdog team the MLB has ever seen, and if it was not for a blown call by Umpire Laz Diaz, there could have been one of the most historical stories given to MLB fans.

If you all need to know my qualifications for ball knowledge, here you go. The grid was better than 95.7% of all grids.

My Hoop Grids from last week.
View Comments (1)