Academic Magnet High School - North Charleston, South Carolina.

Where is the best place to study at AMHS? (poll included!!)

Stressed about an upcoming test? Want to get away from your friends? Fret no more, below is a ranking of study spots at magnet!

As many enter the hallways of AMHS, they must ask themselves, where do I study? First, all students try study hall, where they get either insane amounts of homework done, or get none. To help the many lost AMHS students at Magnet,  below is a list of all possible study spots, ranked from worst to best.

First I need to go over my system of ranking. Every score is out of 10, with 4 points for comfort, 3 for ambiance, 1 for light, and 2 for laptopability or the ability to set your laptop down.

Benches in hallway

Overall score: 3.5/10

I am not a fan. 0 for light, 1.5 for comfort, 0 for laptopability. The ambiance does get a 2 due to the great people watching, but I am unable to ever get work done here because I see so many people I know.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Guitar hallway

Overall score: 3.5/10

Next is the guitar hallway. In this “practice spot,” you can always hear an interesting tune coming from a sophomore in guitar. Due to the great background music ambiance gets a 2.5. Sadly, there are no tables or backs to chairs, comfortability gets a 1, and laptopability gets a 0. The light in this room, along with wifi is little if any, scoring a 0.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

Circle couches in the library

Overall score: 3.5/10

I have one word for this circle couch: bad. If I could I would rate this a -1 I would. The laptopability, sucks, 1. Light feels second hand, 0. Ambiance, 1, but only for the GREAT people watching. Finally, comfort scores a 1.5. You’re probably thinking it’s a couch why did it get a 1, well this “couch” feels like borderline cardboard.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

The Courtyard

Overall Score: 5/10

The courtyard honestly sucks. I will be giving it a 0.5 in comfort, due to the benches which leave imprints on your legs, the 0.5 is from the outside air, which relaxes studiers. light obviously gets a 1, and laptopability gets a 0. Finally, ambiance gets a 3 because of the great lighting and lack of students walking by.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

Physics table

Overall score: 5.5/10

whoop whoop, the Physics table, who even studies here? While I have seen the occasional hallway test taker or morning reviewer I have never seen anyone actually study here. 0.5 for above light, 2 for ambiance, 1 for comfort, and 2 for laptopability.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

Lecture hall bathroom hallway

Overall score: 6/10

Woooo, we have now started to enter the hallways of AMHS. I personally have never used this small hallway as a study spot, but I have sat in it a few times just to chillax. An alumni raptor who I have seen use this study spot constantly is the one and only Anna Skinner.  These chairs, which are very comfy give this hallway a soaring 4 points. The ambiance gets a 1.5, due to having to hear the dryers go off in the bathroom and have people stare at you as they walk down the hallways. Light gets an 0.5 for the small windows and lack of brightness above. But what really ruins the score is the 0 for laptopability, due to the lack of a table.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

Senior lounge table

Overall score: 6.5/10

This is a great table, not only are you able to socialize, but you also can turn away from everyone and get your study on. Ambiance gets a 2.5 because you are sometimes distracted. Laptopability gets a 2, and light gets a 1. Sadly, comfort is what really lacks with the table, scoring a 1.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

The library nooks

Overall score: 6.5/10

Ahh, the library nook, where it is hard to find an open area, but even harder to not walk into an SOA PDA session.  This cute little section is perfect for you and your BFF to grind through your physics homework. The nook sadly scored 2 points for comfort, due to the backless chairs and not plush seating.  On a positive note, the nook did score 1 point for light because of its great views and large windows. This great lighting is also perfect for the many TikTok dances I have seen while trying to find a place to sit. Fun fact SOA alum Clinton Larabee actually achieved his fame on TikTok in these small nooks. The desks in this nook passed with soring colors scoring all two points for laptopability! Due to the pros and cons of the nook I had to settle on a 1.5 for ambiance.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

Senior lounge sofa

Overall score: 8.5/10

The senior lounge sofa is the perfect spot for getting in your mid-day nap, crying after failing a test, or eating 25 bags of chips that someone donated. Comfortability obviously gets a 4 and light gets a 1. But there are a few downfalls to this area. Laptopability gets a 1, due to the lack of tables and Ambiance gets a 2.5 due to the ability to get distracted. Overall this section is a great staple at Magnet.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

Junior lounge

Overall score: 9/10

While I have been told that this area is no longer called the junior lounge, I forgot the new name. I LOVE THIS SPOT. While I did prefer the old tables, which raised my laptopability score the large couch size has really impressed me 1.5. The comfort gets 4 because of the great variation of chairs. Light gets a 1 due to not only the great overhead lighting but also the large window. Ambiance gets a 2.5 due to the great people watching, but teachers are able to see you from one too many directions.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?

The library workroom

Overall score: 9.5/10

The library workroom is what I consider the Bergheim of the library. Not only do you have to have a very good reason to get work done in this coveted room, but you also need to be in good if not great graces with Dr. Russel. This room scored all four points for comfortability with its difference in chairs, but scored 0.5 points for light, due to the shadows in the room. In my opinion, the ambiance of the room is a 3 because you are completely alone. Finally, 2 points for laptopability, whoop whoop! My favorite memory is when there was a quartet practicing in it when I was at the library once, it threw me for a loop.

This poll has ended.

Do you like to study here?