New and Improved Guide to the Birdcage

With football season starting, let’s review all the rules, cheers, and chants you should know to enjoy a Raptor football game and more.

You may notice other student sections such as Wando and Lucy Beckham are filled to the brim, but what we lack in size, we make up for in spirit! As senior, Chloe Carlsten states: “The Birdcage is LIT” and we would like to keep it that way so make sure you’re up to date with the latest trends. When asked “When you think of the Birdcage what comes to mind?” Addie Hanna gave a short but sweet response: “HYPE!”

First things first: where to stand. Seniors stand in front of the student section (no exceptions) closest to the field, followed by juniors, sophomores, and freshmen at the top. As more students arrive closer to game time, you may hear “Freshmen move back” but WE DON’T MEAN ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP. After our experience at the first home game of the season, I felt the need to specify that y’all just need to back up a row or two to make room for the upperclassmen in the front.

Secondly, listen to your spirit leaders and DRESS UP!! The spirit leaders will stand in front of the student section (most likely best dressed) and lead the Birdcage in cheers. This year’s senior spirit leaders are Jordan Burrell, Ava Smoak, Lucas Browder, Wyatt Mahoney, Charlie Zaifert, Noa Wallen, Wilson Burns, and Piper Hudgins. As for themes, they will be announced on Instagram @amhsstuco a few days before the game to give you time to stock up on costumes and other items to increase your spirit. Don’t be afraid to go all out! See Elaina Seymour’s article for more details on themes.

Wyatt Mahoney (12) briefly takes over as Remy the Raptor

Now the most important part: the cheers! Cheering loud only does you good if you know the right words, so here are the scripts to some of the most popular Birdcage cheers. Keep in mind some cheers are started by the cheerleaders, while others are started by the spirit leaders. This year, be on the lookout for the spirit leaders who will try and snag you to the front of the Birdcage for a speech to get the student section riled up!

Raptor cheerleaders pumping up the student section!

Rollercoaster
Spirit Leaders: Raptors, let’s get strapped in!
Birdcage: *makes the motion of pulling bars over shoulders as if we are on a rollercoaster*
Birdcage: *shh shh shh shh* While following spirit leaders’ movements
Spirit Leaders: Swing arms side to side, forward and backward as Birdcage follows.

Raptors in the Front
Cheerleaders: Raptors in the front, let me hear you grunt!
Birdcage: *grunt*
Spirit Leaders: Raptors in the middle, let me hear you sizzle!
Birdcage: SIZZLE!
Spirit Leaders: Raptors in the rear let me hear you cheer!
Birdcage: WOOO!
Birdcage: Do that stuff, do that stuff! Do that stuff, do that stuff!

Raptors, Football, Touchdown, Score
Raptors, football, touchdown, score, ahhhh! (Repeat 3-4 times)

Pump It Up
Cheerleaders: Raptors, are you ready? To pump it up, to pump it up, to pump it, pump it, pump it up!
Freshmen: Freshmen, are you ready? To pump it up, to pump it up, to pump it, pump it, pump it up!
Sophomores: Sophomores, are you ready? To pump it up, to pump it up, to pump it, pump it, pump it up!
Juniors: Juniors, are you ready? To pump it up, to pump it up, to pump it, pump it, pump it up!
Seniors: Seniors, are you ready? To pump it up, to pump it up, to pump it, pump it, pump it up!
Birdcage: Raptors, are you ready? To pump it up, to pump it up, to pump it, pump it, pump it up!

One We Are the Raptors
Birdcage: One, we are the Raptors
Two, a little bit louder
Three, I still can’t hear you
Four, more, more, more, more

I Believe That We Will Win
Spirit Leader: I believe
Birdcage: I believe
Spirit Leader: I believe that
Birdcage: I believe that
Spirit Leader: I believe that we will win
Birdcage: I believe that we will win!

Never Back Down Never What
Spirit Leaders: Never back down never what?
Birdcage: Never give up
Spirit Leaders (louder): Never back down never what?
Birdcage (louder): Never give up

James Prutting (12) at the top of the Birdcage after Parting the Red Sea

Lastly, this one isn’t exactly a cheer, but you should still know what’s going on so you don’t get trampled in the bleachers. If you see one or two of the spirit leaders headed up the bleachers with a giant flag, get prepared to Part the Red Sea. For this one, the spirit leaders will start with a countdown “3…2…1” and then bang the flag on the ground. Once you hear the bang, scoot to the sides and leave a row in the middle of the student section for the spirit leaders to run through.

Now with all this being said, we can’t forget to follow the official rules from the CCSD code of conduct and always be respectful to the players and fellow fans who enter the Birdcage. Obviously, no bullying or fighting, and make sure to follow the CCSD honor code. Even though we are not technically in school, these rules still apply at any sporting event.
Next, if you want to bring a bag it must be CLEAR. Our AMHS spirit store has super cool clear bags with the Raptor logo on them if you wish to purchase one to bring into the games.
Finally, no outside food and drinks are allowed in the stadium so make sure you bring money to buy a snack or a drink while you are in the stadium. You will normally find a Kona Ice truck and a concession stand full of snacks and drinks.

Last but certainly not least, always be loud! Nothing is worse than a silent student section, so we need to make sure the players can hear our support all the way from the field. As senior player Ford Martin thinks “It’s pretty cool to run out of the tunnel and see a massive student section during football games” Harrison Crites agrees “It’s great to see everyone getting hype on Friday nights to get us going.”

Keep in mind, as football season comes to a close, these cheers can be used in the gym to support our basketball team as well! I hope to see y’all at the next game, go raptors!