The student news site of Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, South Carolina.

• Summer Scholars July 24th - pictures coming soon

• WELCOME CLASS OF 2021!

• Girls and Boys Soccer Wins AA State Championships!

• ACADEMIC TEAM WINS CHARLESTON COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

Macron defeated Le Pen – decisively, that is. Polling over 66% of the national vote, Emmanuel Macron met his supporters in front of Le Louvre to celebrate his early victory over Marine Le Pen. Le Pen’s loss affirms France’s role in several global alliances such as NATO and the EU, which were in jeopardy leading up to the election. Macron’s election also ends the socialist policies dictated by Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who will be replaced by Macron’s pick. The election of French president comes in a tumultuous time of international affairs, heavily affecting the United States. Macron aligns with centrist policies, which stunts the growth of conservative movements of global superpowers across the nation.

Emmanuel Macron, 39 years of age, is an investment banker turned politician who describes himself as centrist, aligning with neither party. Economically, he supports a free market and El Khomri Law, which expands the labor market and reduces unemployment. He also advocates for trade organizations between the European Union and countries such as Canada and Germany. In terms of foreign policy, he believes in a more balanced relationship with Syria, continued support to Israel, and more humane treatment in Algeria. Macron’s immigration policies stray away from typical Socialist ones, as he models his after Angela Merkel’s, an open-door policy to primarily refugees. Also, he believes in the reorganization of Frontex, an EU agency that controls the European border and prevents illegal immigration in the Mediterranean Sea. He has promised a large increase of police officers and the expansion of intelligence agencies in order to combat terrorism, which has greatly depleted French morale in the last decade. Also straying away from Socialist platforms, Macron believes in a “balance between ecological imperatives and economic requirements,” as he has backed diesel fuel and other threats to the environment. Arguably the most surprising element of En Marche! candidate Emmanuel Macron is his personal life. Macron first met his wife Brigitte Trogneux when he was 15 years old in drama class, and she was the 39 year old teacher. As the couple continued to see each other, his parents attempted to break them up by sending Emmanuel to Henri IV, a prestigious school in Paris. Trogneux later divorced her former husband to marry Emmanuel Macron in 2007, making Macron the step-father of Trogneux’s three children (two of whom is he younger than). Macron’s best man was 83 year old Henry Hermand, a successful businessman who lent him €550,000 for his first apartment and provided the young Inspector of Finances offices for his new political party. Another odd unusual element of Macron’s life was his self-request to be confirmed in the Roman Catholic church despite his family being non-religious. Donald Trump congratulated Macron on his victory and the two planned a lunch to meet in Brussels, Belgium, indicating that US-French relations will continue to prosper.

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

Senior Theses for the Class of 2017

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

Is Greek Life Worth It?

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

Caffeine Kills South Carolina High Schooler

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

Teen Pool Party Gone Wrong

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

Elections

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

Saving Leatherback Sea Turtles in Charleston

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

French Presidential Election Recap

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

A “Starry Night” (Prom)

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

Winthrop Cup: Three AMHS Students Take Model UN

• Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election

News

SpaceX Reuses A Rocket To Launch A Satellite

Follow-Up: Macron Wins Election