President of Wofford College Speaks to AMHS Students

On Tuesday, January 24, the President of Wofford College, Dr. Nayef H. Samhat, visited Academic Magnet and delivered the convocation speech. Dr. Samhat holds a bachelor’s degree in international affairs from George Washington University, a master’s degree in international affairs from Columbia University, and a Ph.D. in political science from Northwestern University. Before becoming the President of Wofford in 2013, he served as provost and professor of political science and international studies at Kenyon College in Ohio.

Dr. Samhat used his roughly thirty minute speech to address a few things that students should keep in mind as they are in college and throughout their lives. His biggest piece of advice? Seek out mentors in your everyday life because they will help advance your academic and social careers. He said that there are three things make a good mentor: someone who challenges you, someone who will celebrate your successes and point out your failures, and someone who is willing to learn and grow with you. In addition, he used some of his time to talk about the opportunities students can get at Wofford (he is the President after all). The biggest takeaway from his speech was actively seeking opportunities. He urged AMHS students to not sit and let life pass you by, but take initiative in order to achieve everything you want in life!