How far have you traveled to attend a concert? Pt. 1

Exploring the lengths Raptors have gone through just to see some of their favorite musical artists.

If you’re not counting the local bands and orchestras, Charleston, SC has never really been known for its concert scene. Prior to the opening of the Credit One Stadium on Daniel Island, many would have to pray that their favorite musical artists would perform at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center (shoutout to Tyler the Creator for coming on his “Call Me If You Get Lost 2022” tour that basically everyone and their mom went to) or would have to trek to either Charlotte, NC or Atlanta, GA to even get a glimpse of their favorite musical artist. However, some Raptors have gone above and beyond in showing their determination. I’ve asked students how far they have traveled to attend a concert; these are some of the responses.

Evie Inman (12) – NYC / Harry Styles

First of many seniors featured in this article, Evie traveled all the way to NYC to see Harry Styles because it was the only show [she] could get tickets for” and when asked if it was worth it, she responded yes, “because I love him.” Honestly, enough said.

Morgan Fletcher (12) – Newark, NJ / Metallica

Next up, Morgan also decided to head up north to attend a Metallica concert. She explained that “It was a 2 night concert at the East Rutherford stadium, and it was close enough to New York so [she] spent the days in the city, and the nights at the concert.” Literally, a two in one. What more could you ask for. She stated, “It was so worth it because my seats were great, the food was good, and they played almost all of their best hits because it was 2 nights. Only sketchy part was that I flew Spirit, so I’m lucky to be alive.” Sounds like it was a wonderful experience and we’re very glad you’re alive, but I guess maybe the luck was getting a little too good that Spirit had to throw in a curveball at the end.

Rachel Holden (12) – Raleigh, NC / Lil Uzi Vert

Not having traveled very far, Rachel visited Raleigh to see Lil Uzi Vert simply because “It was the closest and the tickets were cheap.” Real. She notes that “Lil Uzi Vert is a great performer and [she] got to hear some of [her] favorite songs by them live.” Love that for you!

Milla Broadwater (12) – NYC / Billy Joel

Similar to Evie, Milla also decided to choose the Big Apple as her concert city to see Billy Joel during one of his shows for his monthly residency at Madison Square Garden. Honestly, how much more New York could that get (Alexa, please play “New York State of Mind”). However she “actually didn’t know [she] was going until like a month before.” She was already going to NYC so “it was just an added bonus.” Well, what a lovely surprise that must have been then. Hopefully it was a wonderful show as she’s lucky to have gotten to see him there as he unfortunately announced this past summer that his residency at ‘The Garden’ is set to end in 2024 after a decade of shows.

Carolina Carrara (12) – Brasilia, Brazil / Vintage Culture

I think I can speak for most of us when I say it’s not surprising that Carol’s concert location is Brazil, as she’s known to often travel there to visit family. As part of one of her many trips, she went to see world famous DJ, Vintage Culture, and notes that it was fun because the tickets were cheap and she got to go with her cousin, and “it was beautiful and since it was outside it wasn’t hot.” Another great trip to Brazil down for Carol!

Amelie Gilmore (10) – London, England / Sabrina Carpenter, The Rose, and Blackpink

Another person to leave the country, Amelie went to London for BST Hyde Park, as attending the concert there “was cheaper and some of [her] family lives in England.” BST Hyde Park is the British Summer Time Hyde Park music festival that takes place once a year for one to two weekends in London’s Hyde Park. It includes a series of concerts and Amelie got to see many different performers like Sabrina Carpenter, The Rose, and Blackpink. She notes it was worth it because she loves England since “it’s pretty and it’s always nice to see [her] family.” Honestly, what a steal. Who doesn’t love family time plus multiple performances all in one.

Whitney Limbert (10) – Columbia / Wallows

Staying within SC borders, Whitney visited the state capital to see the Wallows with her best friend. She very enthusiastically exclaims that  “IT WAS AMAZING!!!” and her “LIFE WAS CHANGED FOREVER.” Through the excitement felt in Whitney’s responses, I think it’s safe to assume that her life has definitely changed for the better.

listen to Wallows

— Whitney (10)

Alaina Jarrett (11) – Tampa, Florida / Taylor Swift

Finally a concert that I’m sure most of you expected to see: Taylor Swift. Alaina was one of the lucky few that were able to actually get a ticket as she went down to Tampa to see Taylor. She notes, “It was the most convenient weekend and we somehow got tickets for it.” Hopefully she didn’t have to pay thousands of dollars for it, though. Most likely sharing the same sentiments as other Swifties, Alaina states, “It was the best concert I’ve ever been to.” 

Whether it be simply going on a road trip nearby or flying overseas, students have shown that they’re not letting Charleston’s dull concert scene stop them from seeing some of their favorite musical artists. Noting that most of the artists students have gone to see are popular or big name artists, hopefully in the future Charleston will get more attention and consideration as a concert city so they won’t have to travel as far anymore. Fortunately, since the opening of the outdoor Credit One Stadium on DI, we’ve already gotten some big names like Elton John, The Lumineers, OneRepublic, and many others.

Look forward to a part two of this article in the future as more responses are sent in!