Why High School?

Seeing as this dialogue-style article will probably be my last for The Talon, I have begun to get sentimental. I mean, I have a lot to owe to this school, this newspaper, these words. I came in a side-part wearing, brace-faced 13 year-old with nothing on my mind but merely survival, but I am proud to say that I have made some developments from that period of my life. I have to admit, I am a senior in much need of a reality check. I haven’t arrived at school before 8:30 since the second month and I refuse to do any school work outside of this building. I have neglected to become actually sad about my depart from Raptor Nation (t-minus one month) and I’m thinking that this change I am about to encounter still hasn’t hit me yet.

Yeesh.

I feel like many people leave high school with no remorse. Cursing the ground that they walked on in dirty Converse for four years, most can’t imagine feeling nostalgic when it is time for them to leave (me included). Don’t get me wrong; the friends I have made, the teachers I have had, everything that I have learned does hold me back from this thought, but, I am on an adrenaline-high to begin a new period of my life as well.

Nonetheless, I want to attempt to reflect by sharing some words of wisdom from my high school experience, but I want to make this clear, I will not pretend to know anything more than anyone else reading this. I am not the smartest or the coolest or the most popular person, in fact, I am probably one of the most average of them all. But alas, there are some things that have taken me the entirety of high school to figure out, and I don’t want it to be the same for you.

1. Take advantage of time in class. I used to think that because I was attending THE Academic Magnet High School, I should go home do five hours of homework, then go to bed. I have learned how to work smarter rather than harder. Define what you need to spend time on and what you don’t (for your sanity).
  2. Join as many sports as you want. Not to be a downer but we go to the super duper academically rigorous Academic Magnet. We are not a sports school. Take this opportunity to try out any sport that you are interested in or think might be fun. Literally why wouldn’t you. No one is going to be blaming you for not going pro.
  3. Make friends with everyone. I feel like this one is a given but I still decided to include it because our school is a tight knit community. At least by your senior year you will probably know everyone’s first name so why not be able to get along with everyone?
  4. Thank your teachers after every class.
  5. Just go to bed. I know that you think another hour of reviewing on Quizlet for an extra hour might save you from failure but, I disagree. You will do better if you sleep.
  6. Don’t stay in. Spend your Fridays and weekends with your friends. School is not your life.
  7. Take the help given to you. Who are you trying to prove your independence to? You are a kid. I hate to be the one to tell you that you should use it.

Lastly, it wouldn’t be one of my articles if I didn’t find a way to incorporate music into it somehow, so I am going to leave all of you with my last music suggestions. I present: the songs that you should listen to as you reminisce on your high school days and prepare for the next chapter of your life.

• Tongue Tied- GROUPLOVE
  • Knock Knock- Mac Miller
  • The Spins- Mac Miller
  • The One That Got Away- Katy Perry
  • Teenage Dream- Katy Perry
  • Pluto Projector- Rex Orange County
  • Cigarette Daydreams- Cage The Elephant
  • Ribs- Lorde
  • I Lived- OneRepublic
  • Young Dumb & Broke- Khalid
  • Young, Wild & Free (feat. Bruno Mars)- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa
  • Congratulations- Post Malone, Quavo
  • Some Nights- fun.
  • We Are Young (feat. Janelle Monáe)- fun.
  • Beautiful Girls- Sean Kingston
  • Mr. Brightside- The Killers
  • Live While We’re Young- One Direction
  • Sign of the Times- Harry Styles
  • 505- Arctic Monkeys
  • Flashing Lights- Kanye West, Dwele
  • Sure Thing- Miguel

“Staff Writer” Lily Hutson signing off. Thanks for this platform Ms. Hurt. I have enjoyed every second.