Remy The Raptor

Why is our mascot so important?

High school mascots play a crucial role in creating a sense of community and identity within a school. The mascot serves as a symbol of school spirit and pride, representing the values, history, and culture of the institution. It is often the first thing visitors and new students see when they enter the school, and it helps to establish a sense of belonging among students, faculty, and alumni. Mascots also serve as a rallying point for athletic events and other school activities, providing a unifying force that brings the school together. By donning a mascot costume or cheering for their team, students can tap into a shared sense of school pride and camaraderie that can have a positive impact on their academic and personal growth. Moreover, mascots often have historical and cultural significance, representing the region or community in which the school is located. In this way, high school mascots can help students develop an appreciation for their local heritage and traditions, while also fostering a sense of connection to the broader community. Overall, high school mascots are a vital part of the school experience, providing a tangible and meaningful representation of the school’s values, identity, and sense of community.

Does the mascot help the sports teams?

A school mascot is more than just a symbol or representation of a sports team; it can have a significant impact on the team’s performance. The presence of a mascot provides an added element of motivation and encouragement for players, instilling a sense of pride and identity within the team. The mascot serves as a visual reminder of the school community’s support and can create a sense of camaraderie between the team and the student body. The energy and excitement generated by the mascot’s presence can also energize the crowd and create a more vibrant and engaged atmosphere during games, which can positively affect the players’ morale and performance. Additionally, the mascot can serve as a source of inspiration for the team, embodying the school’s values and encouraging players to strive for excellence on and off the field. In this way, the school mascot can play a critical role in helping a sports team perform better, both by boosting team morale and by fostering a strong sense of community and pride among players and fans alike.

Current Mascots

Our current mascots are Alan Muthard (12) and Jordan Burrell (11). They love their jobs. When inquired about her experience as Remy, Jordan exclaimed that “It is always amazing to feel like you are an important part of the school atmosphere and you symbolize the spirit of the Academic Magnet Raptors”. This  shows how important the mascot job is and how underrated the mascot’s significance is.  

I then asked why being Remy is such an important responsibility. Jordan said “Being the mascot is important because whether or not you are a young hopeful AMHS student or a senior, Remy will always be there to lift your spirits”. 

I personally always feel a million times better when Remy is present. I love when Remy does dances. I can recall at one home football game at the D4 stadium when Remy “hit the griddy”. The crowd went Wild! 

Along with the ethical and moral benefits, the mascot gets a prime seat to watch all of the Academic Magnet sporting events. Remy  (whichever one you ask)  says “being Remy has its perks as you get a courtside or sideline view of the game.” Especially at the packed basketball and football games, a front row view definitely would come in handy. Reminiscing on my freshman years, I recall not watching a single minute of the Raptor football games due to the terrible seat in the Danny Jones stands. So, if you were to become Remy the mascot, you would never have to miss a second of the Raptor excitement.

Who all have been the AMHS mascot?

The very first mascot I remember was Manning Unger. He is now a sophomore at Rice University. He used his charismatic dancing and enthusiastic cheers to hype up the crowd. 

For the past two years, Alan and Jordan have been our regular Remys, alternating between games. They do  amazing jobs and never fail to get the student section loud and excited. 

I also recall one game where Donovan (10) was Remy. It was a home basketball game and neither Alan nor Jordan  could make it. Donovan was chosen to substitute and he did not disappoint. 

Who will be the Mascots next year?

The mascots next year will most likely be Jordan  due to her enthusiasm about the position and another person to replace graduating senior Alan. who will be extremely hard to replace.

Conclusion

Overall, the Academic Magnet mascot is a very important role that must be filled by an equally responsible and enthusiastic student. The mascot serves as a symbol of school spirit and pride, representing the values, history, and culture of the institution. They keep the student body spirited, ultimately helping the sports team due to the cheering. Mascots also serve as a rallying point for athletic events and other school activities, providing a unifying force that brings the school together. Because the mascot is so vital to our school’s unity, spirit, and overall athletic performance, choosing our embodiment of Remy is chief. Whether its Alan Muthard, Donovon, or Jordan Burrell, Remy will continue to reign!!! GO RAPTORS!!!

I hope this article has helped explain why our mascot is so important and a vital part of our raptor spirit. If you’re interested in becoming the next Remy, apply here! https://amhsraptors.com/2023/03/15/mascot-application-for-2023-24/