The Lost Souls of Magnet: 2023 Addition

Where have they flown off to?

During our time at Academic Magnet, a plethora of people have come and gone, all for various reasons. I know many are curious about those who set foot out of the nest. Though I contacted many, only a few responded and reported back to the following questions:

Why did you leave?

Do you miss AMHS?

Where are you now?

The first to answer me was Felix Quiros-Keller, who left in the middle of his freshmen year. His time at Magnet was limited but significant. I think we all remember THE going away party. Felix left AMHS because “My dad got an offer that he couldn’t turn down, so he decided for us to move.” Not much choice in this decision. An unpopular answer to the second question, he said, “I do miss the school, but I especially miss my friends. It’s hard being hundreds of miles away and not being able to see them often.” How sweet of him. “I’m now living in Tenafly, New Jersey,” Felix says, “It’s a very different place compared to Charleston, but I like it. Winter, although it’s unbearable at times, is much better here because I can go snowboarding whenever I want, and New York City is right around the corner.” Thank you, Felix, hope you are doing well. 

Next up is also a freshmen year transfer, Ms. Riley Brown, who is now at James Island. Though she does not attend school here anymore, she can be seen hanging around many raptors outside of school. Riley Brown says, “I left magnet for a number of reasons, the main one being it wasn’t a good fit for me. During quarantine, I had a lot of time to think about the reasons I attended magnet in the first place. I applied just to see if I’d get in; I wasn’t expecting to. Once I got accepted, I felt a lot of pressure from family members to go to school at AMHS. It took roughly a month for me to realize that it wasn’t a good environment for me, and it was taking a toll on my mental health. During quarantine, my parents became abundantly clear of this and agreed that it’d be in my best interest to transfer schools.” You really have to do what’s best for yourself, respect. Riley said she for sure misses the people and school spirit, but for her, “that didn’t outweigh everything else.”

“JI, you know.”

— Riley Brown

Finally, she said, “I want the people to hear that I had a great time going to school with you guys, but I have a better time getting out of school at 11:30 am every morning. JI, you know.” Fair. 

Another James Island transfer, Anna Hope Jordan, was here until junior year, transferring this school year. We all know and love Anna Hope. She left because “the workload and inflexible schedule were too damaging to my mental health, and I had to give up a lot of extracurricular as to be at the school. I just wanted to take classes I am interested in and be able to do them with a manageable schedule.” She also misses “a lot of the people and some great teachers, but overall I do not miss Magnet as a school.” This seems to be a popular answer among candidates. Anna Hope is now able to “work and exercise more.” Also, Anna hope says she is “really enjoying my classes that are super interesting and set up in a way that fits best with my learning style (IB curriculum). I now have the time to be more involved with local events, like listening to speakers involved with the WACC.” However, she exclaimed, “I do like to come to the Magnet events, though, because they still have the best student section.” Very true.

Jacob Uricchio left Magnet after junior year, mainly because he “thought magnet was depressing since freshman year.” Good decision; you should prioritize your mental well-being. When asked if he misses AMHS, he said, “Absolutely not”. Lolz. He is now at James Island High School and told me, “I get out of school at 11:30, so I think I made the right call.” You probably did, Jacob.

Next up is Denise Legare, who left after junior year and now attends R.B. Stall High School. I asked her why she left, and she provided me with this response: “I was most passionate about my relationship with Academic Magnet, so I let it consume me. I dedicated my time, energy, and well-being to the school. I spent restless nights and early mornings panicking about what was to come, and there was no way that was or is healthy. It felt like I was trapped in a toxic relationship with an entire institution rather than an opposing person, but it was just as draining. There were days when I felt like I’d given my all to my teachers, peers, and administration, but what I received in return was in no way equivalent to my efforts. It felt like I was being exploited for the greater good of the school, and I couldn’t stand it, so I decided to hit the eject button and leave for good. I was tired of being needed but not fully wanted.” She said, though, she does miss it. “I see the light in Academic Magnet. Although it is faint and seems so far away, I hold onto it, hoping the school’s many shortcomings never snuff it out. I look at the students who ignite love into every room they walk in and think about how I never want that love to fade. While Academic Magnet filled my mind with anguish and doubt, the students at this school managed to fill my heart with endless happiness. These kids, especially the students of color, deserve everything they need, and I could see they received it while I was here. I thought I could ensure that every student went home completely overtaken with life’s virtues, then maybe I would finally go home feeling the same.” Very very well said. Again, she is now at R.B. Stall High School and loves it. She told me, “Transitioning from Academic Magnet to a socially diverse environment, such as Stall, was like taking a breath of fresh air. Attending Stall made me realize what it feels like to be accepted and appreciated. To guarantee that all students achieve the same consolation I now have, I am working alongside the CCSD’s Executive Director for Intercultural Development, Brandi Blake, who has inspired me to continue standing up for my community.” Thank you, Denise! We wish you all the best.

“Shoutout, Coach Kamp.”

— William Russler

William Russler is one of the few who left after his Sophomore year. When asked why he left, he declared, “because I wasn’t able to keep up with the amount of work on top of everything I was doing to try and reach my goal of playing college lacrosse.” Again, doing what’s best for you is the most important. He does miss Magnet, as he said, “by the end of my sophomore year, I was starting to have fun and getting to know people better. A lot of good memories come from playing basketball and lacrosse too. Shout out, coach Kamp.” Coach Kamp isn’t here anymore anyways. Things are changing. He now attends school at Avon Old Farms School in Connecticut. He says, “I’ve been doing better in school since sophomore year while being able to get a lot better at lacrosse.” Good luck!

Last but not least is Mason Figel, who left after sophomore year because “The stress of going to school was impacting my mental health too much.” There seems to be a common theme here. When asked if she missed Magnet, she said, “I miss some aspects of it but honestly, no, not really I didn’t really find enough people there to make it worth it, and I think the environment is really cliquey.” She is now in Charlotte, getting ready to graduate early in January. After this, she is moving back to Charleston for “a couple of months till I begin to road trip around the country.” This sounds AMAZING. I am so jealous.

Many Raptors have flown away from AMHS but soared to many great things. We all miss you guys and wish you the best!