Meet the Girls Varsity Soccer Team

A Preview of the Season

It’s that time again! Your Academic Magnet Girls Varsity Soccer team is back and better than ever. The team went 6-2 in the 3A region and 8-5 overall during the 2021 season. The season ended with a tough 3-2 loss in double overtime against Waccamaw, but the girls did not let this bring them down. Instead, it has become motivation as they move into the 2022 season, or as the girls are calling it ,“Ring season”. 

The team is led by four 4 year varsity players Mary Archambault, Caley Jacobs, Sophie McLean, and Kaylin Morris. These four ladies are looking for their first state title after two trips to the playoffs. They are joined by 9 other seniors, 5 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 2 freshmen. 

As seen on the schedule, this year is starting off with a bang. Aside from two scrimmages, the girls are playing in two preseason tournaments. The first, the Charleston Soccer Shootout, is hosted by Academic Magnet High School and will include both boys and girls games. The second is Viking Cup, a Columbia tournament full of tough competition and college coaches bound to prepare them for games against BE and Oceanside. 

We had the chance to speak to Coach Alister DeLong and some of the girls to get some thoughts on the upcoming season. Here is what they had to say:

“I am very excited for the upcoming season. We have 18 returning players, including 13 seniors.  Last year didn’t end the way we wanted it to so we are using that to motivate us going into this season. I believe that this team has a chance to be very special and is one of the best that I have coached in my 6 years as the Raptor’s head coach. I hope that the student body and staff will come out and support us this season as we push for our 7th state championship in school history. Go Raptors!” – Coach Alister DeLong 

Pushin 🅿️o

— Emma Morrison

“Power and finesse” – Caley Jacobs

“Ever since our PK loss in the lower state final freshman year, I have been determined to win state. This is the year.” – Kaylin Morris 

The 2022 Roster is as Follows

Mary Archambault (12) 

Anna Benson (12) 

Mary Compton(12)

Blair Henry(12)

Caley Jacobs (12)

Lucy Manuel (12)

Sophie McLean (12)

Gracie Mochizuki(12)

Kaylin Morris (12)

Bryanna Oliver-Reed (12)

Kate Walldorf (12)

Nola Webb (12)

Chloe Wren (12)

Kristen McLeod (11)

Emma Morrison (11)

Lily Hutson (11) 

Avery Voelkel (11) 

Maya Thompson (11)

Sadie Hoertoerfer (10)

Charlie Zaifert (10)

Abby Poole (10) 

Lily Murphy (10) 

Hanna Ismail (9) 

Mattie Vermette (9) 

The girls are very excited to start the season hoping for big wins against rivals Bishop England and Oceanside to secure them a spot in the playoffs. They are expecting lots of support from the AMHS student body this year, so please come out and support! To keep up with the team, head over to girl’s instagram @amhsgsoccer, and make sure to come out to some games!