How to Become Smarter During Quarantine

Now’s the time

As we have now been stuck at home for almost two months, things that we dreaded doing before are now seeming like a source of entertainment. If you happen to find yourself reaching next level boredom and are desperate for something to do, here are some activities that will help you increase your intellectual capacity and rise from this pandemic smarter than ever.

1. Study for the SAT/ACT: It’s never too early to start studying for these tests as they are necessary for college admissions. Online resources such as Khan Academy, Kaplan, and The College Board website are very useful, or you can purchase a study guide online that is adequate as well. 
  2. Learn a new language: Taking Spanish and French courses in high school isn’t difficult if you’re fluent, and now is the perfect time for that. There are many ways to learn a new language, and this article can help you with that.
  3. Take free online classes: Coursera is a great online program where you can enroll in specific classes from actual colleges (including Yale, Stanford, Emory, and more) for free. You can access video lectures from professors, readings, and assignments that are peer-graded. Although these do not count for college credit, there are a lot of really cool classes in multiple subject areas that you might find interesting.
  4. Read: Whether you are starting your summer reading for next year or picking up a book of your choice, reading is a great activity to make you smarter. 3 Books to Read If You’re “Trying to Get Back Into Reading”
  5. Start thinking about your AP Research Paper: This may seem crazy to underclassmen, but taking AP Research is inevitable if you want to graduate from AMHS. It may be helpful to look into the requirements of the class and start thinking about some potential topics of interest for your paper so when you are a senior, you are extra prepared. 
  6. Research colleges and future careers: If you have no idea what you want to do in the future, it may be beneficial to do some self-reflection and find out what you want to do post-high school and what career path interests you. Of course, this will change throughout the duration of high school, but it’s never too early to start. Taking quizzes to find out what colleges or careers are a good fit for your interests is very helpful. 
  7. Study for Grad School: If you know for sure what your future entails and have nothing better to do, pick up an MCAT or LSAT study guide and start grinding.