Zach Kronsberg: Student Body President

“It’s 11:40 Magnet, you know what that means…” Time to learn about your student body president, Zach Kronsberg! You may recognize him as the guy that led the pep rally during homecoming, or know him as the guy who leads the announcements at 11:40 a.m. every day with his classic jokes that lighten everyone’s day with some slight laughter. I had the honor of interviewing Zach so that we could see what is behind the operations of the student body at Magnet.

What motivated you to run for student body president?

“I wanted to make a difference in the school and wanted to able to say that I left a clear impact on the school before I graduated.”

What are the best parts about being president?

“The announcements.”

What are the worst parts about your job?

“Sometimes having to be the bad guy and tell my peers that they can’t do things.”

What are you most proud of so far?

“I am most proud of the increased organization within student council; some people may not notice, but I am proud that the executive council is able to be more organized.”

What are your plans for college?

“My number one choice is Yale, number 2 and 3 are Northwestern and Duke. I am also applying to Washington University, my safeties are American University, Elon, Brandis, and the College of Charleston. I want to major in political science.”

What do you think makes Magnet, Magnet?

“No matter what happens for every Magnet student, there is dedication to become a successful student, whatever it takes, and I don’t think there is another school where everyone shares that degree of desire to be an excellent student.”

What is your favorite tradition?

“AP Picnic. I like it not just because AP exams are over, but also there is an excited mood with the bands and the Popsicles, and the yearbooks are especially exciting.”

What legacy do you hope to leave after graduating this June?

“I want to be remembered as someone who cared about the spirit of Magnet, in both an academic sense and school sense, and I want to be remembered for my outstanding announcements.”

What do you do outside of school?

“Besides homework, because that’s most of my time, I spend a lot of time with my family, and I spend lots of time at the movie theater. I love movies; I have a movie pass.”

How do you come up with your daily speech for the announcements?

“Both my second period classes are upstairs so I come up with what I’m going to say as I’m walking down the stairs every time, especially when they’re weird, I definitely came up with those walking down the stairs, ’cause I don’t have time to think ‘that’s a stupid idea’.”

Can you give us some insight into some of the student council projects that you’re working on that we should get excited for?

“I just got approval yesterday to do a movie night in the lecture hall. There are some things I want to keep under wraps, though. But I can tell you that we are partnering with Charleston Hope to sponsor 8 classrooms for underprivileged schools for the holiday season and get them gifts.”

Describe each grade in 2 words. 

“Freshmen: hopeful, yet delusional

Sophomore: spirited, yet not spirited

Junior: cohesive, yet annoying

Senior: brilliant, yet reprehensible”

Will you come back to visit Magnet after you graduate?

“Yes, of course.”

Which teacher or faculty member at magnet has influenced you the most?

“Ms. McIntyre.”