Procrastination at Its Finest

Procrastination is simply putting something off to do later. Some people think they are procrastinators, but they truly do not know how far some people go when they procrastinate. In order to see the extremes of procrastination we talked to some Magnet students about their routines and funniest experiences. The first two students were seniors who have already been accused of senioritis, Meghan Cradock and Joe Rogers. When asked what Meghan’s funniest procrastination story was she explained how she found out that her final exam project for Spanish 3 was due that day so she and her group made it the class before it was due and got a 100. When asked the same question, Joe said that he has been constantly procrastinating his thesis deadlines and ironically his thesis is on procrastination. Both seniors have always been pretty big procrastinators and Meghan added that it has “gotten worse throughout high school”. Joe additionally said that sometimes he attempts to do his homework the night before it is due, but most of the time he falls asleep and Meghan said that she just waits until the class before or DURING that class! These notorious seniors are also known for not knowing when things are due and this was obvious when Joe said “I don’t make a plan I just realize the class before that it’s due”. Meghan concluded how she felt about procrastinating by saying that she likes the life she lives and is content with who she is.

While these seniors are probably struggling with senioritis, there are also some sophomores who struggle with procrastination and are known to put off work. Hampton Gehlken and Mia Di Paolo are both big procrastinators and had a lot to say about it. Mia says that she plans to do her homework usually in the car before school and only became a procrastinator when she came to Magnet. However, Hampton confessed that he has always procrastinated, even in middle school. Both students wish they were not procrastinators because of their stress levels and wasted time. Mia’s funniest procrastination story was when she started her English summer assignment right before the class it was due and still managed to turn it in on time. 

All of these procrastinators at Magnet are known for their tendency to put off a task to do later and have also confirmed that their grades do reflect their procrastination and if they were not procrastinators then they might have better grades. Meghan added to this by saying that she still does not know her powerschool login so she “hopes that they are good” when referring to her grades.

Overall, the senior perspective on procrastination was best summed up when Joe said “So think about it…what happens if you fail every test? You fail the class. And what happens if you fail the class? You flunk out of magnet. And what happens if you flunk out of magnet? You go to Wando. And yeah that sounds pretty good.”