Getting Ready for Homecoming 2017

Homecoming week is just around the corner here at Magnet, and you can feel the preparations in the air. Homecoming week this year is October 2-6, and the big game is on Friday, October 6th against Garrett. Homecoming week is traditionally the most anticipated week at Academic Magnet, because it gives all students the opportunity to show their school spirit all week long. Seniors are preparing their themes with the goal of outshining the senior classes that they have looked up to in the past, Juniors are attempting to keep their wall theme quiet in fear of the senior sabotage, Sophomores are ready to step up their wall theme game with the relief of no longer being the underdog freshmen, and Freshmen don’t have an idea of what they’re getting themselves into.

Here are your Homecoming 2017 themes:

Monday: ‘Merica Monday

Tuesday: Country vs. Country Club

Wednesday: Heroes vs. Villians

Thursday: Generation Day

Friday: Wall Day

Everyone is encouraged to go all out for each themed day to show school spirit! If you are frustrated because you already checked your closet AND the attic and none of your past Halloween costumes or anything that your mom has seems to work for this years themes, I’ll give you some ideas.

For ‘Merica Monday, the least you can do is show out in your red, white, and blue! Start with an outfit that follows this color code and go from there. At the dollar store and your local Wal-Mart, you can buy some accessories such as festive beads that are as cheap as a dollar, and you can re-use them for the 4th of July or Memorial Day. Trust me, you won’t regret making an American-themed purchase.

For Country vs. Country club, you have a variety of costume options. You can be a farmer, a hillbilly, a tennis player, a golfer, or just dress up in your Sunday church clothes to play the role of “straight out the country club”. Just grab a flannel or a polo, no biggie.

For Heroes vs. Villains, you can start to be creative. If you have never dressed up as a superhero for Halloween, or you just spent your superhero t-shirt cash on a cookout tray, then print out a logo and tape it on a shirt. You’ll get numerous compliments on your superhero (or villain) t shirt, I swear no one will even notice. If you can’t decide if you should be a superhero or villain, there is a quiz here on the The Talon that will give you the answer you are looking for.

In case you have been living under a rock, for Generation Day, each grade represents a different generation. This is traditionally one of the most exciting spirit days because of the creative costumes and because of all the students not only looking the part, but playing the part. Freshmen are babies, Sophomores are toddlers, Juniors are middle aged people (working class), and the seniors are senior citizens. But don’t forget to bring a change of clothes for helping with your class wall after school!

And lastly, the most important day, Wall Day. I am not going to spoil any of the grades themes–especially not our senior theme–but I will say that if you had to choose one day to go all out, this is your day. Get ready for Homecoming 2017, Magnet!