Senior Spotlight Part 5

Meet the class of 2024

Welcome to the first Senior Spotlight Issue of 2024.

First up, we have Laura Dailey.  Laura was born on July 3, 2006, and currently resides in Mount Pleasant.  She went to Moultrie Middle School and really likes Beluga whales.  Her favorite song is “More Than a Feeling” by Boston and dreams of eating chicken pot pie all the time.  Laura is always trying to escape the grounds of Academic Magnet at lunchtime, something that has been and will continue to be her happiest memories here.  Outside of school, Laura is happiest when she is at the beach or going out to eat with friends.

Next is Xander d’Arcy.  He was born on December 15, 2005, and lives on James Island, where he attended Camp Road Middle School.  His favorite animal is a Valais Blacknose Sheep.  Xander Listens to so many genres of music, that he can’t exactly pick one track to be the soundtrack of his life.  Especially in the summer, Xander dreams of eating fried chicken and watermelon in the hot sun.  Xander is happiest when he is around other people, which is reflected in his favorite Magnet memory of setting a school record for the 4×100 meter relay with Ian Smith, Donovan Hamilton, and Grayson Gregg.

Wilson Swenson was born on November 11, 2005.  He lives in Mount Pleasant and attended Laing Middle School.  His favorite animal is an octopus and the soundtrack of his life is the theme song from the hit TV show Succession.  His dream meal is eating dinner at chef Nobu Matsushia’s eponymous and very fancy restaurant in New York City.  Wilson’s favorite memory of Academic Magnet is when his French teacher, Dr. Altman, told him that a pig he drew looked like a dog and talked about it to every one of her classes.  Outside of school, Wilson is happiest when he is watching award show acceptance speeches.

Elaina Seymour, also of Mount Pleasant but a graduate of Cario Middle School, was born on November 16, 2005.  Her favorite artist is most definitely Drake, citing either “Practice” or “Marvin’s Room” as the soundtracks of her life.  Elaina’s dream meal is an everything bagel with scallion cream cheese and lox specifically from Tompkins Square Bagels in New York.  Elaina’s favorite memory at Magnet, like many of the members of the class of 2024, is winning Wall Day sophomore year, but is truly happiest when she is at a yoga or cycling class, eating a bagel, or at the beach with friends.

Ava Trolley was born on February 3.  She lives in Mount Pleasant and attended SOA for creative writing.  Her favorite animal is a sandhill frog and likes listening to the soundtrack from Studio Ghibli, a Japanese animation company.  Ava dreams of eating chicken pot pie and mashed potatoes, and fondly remembers singing in the Battle of the Bands this year.  “It was terrifying, but I did it and that’s what matters.”  Ava likes spending her free time in Study Hall playing poker with her friends.

Lastly, we have Blake Boyd.  Blake lives in Mount Pleasant and, like Elaina, attended Cario Middle School.  His favorite animal is a bear and dreams of eating a BLT sandwich made of ivory and gold-plated Twinkies.  The soundtrack of his life is “John the Fisherman” by Primus.  Blake’s favorite memory at Magnet was when a fellow student was on his “streak of shenanigans.”  Outside of school, Blake is happiest when he is getting paid.

Stay tuned for our next issue!