Is Mountain Faith Worth the Listen?

A spotlight on an underground Christian Folk group.

I have decided that I want to use my platform on the Talon for good. I have been commended before on my eclectic music taste, so I decided to set out to find a low-profile artist whose music deserves some recognition. I was looking through Spotify’s collection of Christian Folk Music and discovered “Mountain Faith” and their lofi country covers of pop songs. What follows are my thoughts on their albums. 

1. EP: Mountain Faith Pop Series (2015)
    • This EP is what initially attracted me to Mountain Faith, and for good reason. The fiddling of the banjo strings and the country accents of the singers transport you to another time. What’s most intriguing about these songs is that they’re all famous pop songs. My favorite is “Counting Stars”, the fiddlin’ works well. It feels like you’re living in an alternate reality when you listen to this though. 
  2. Battlefaith (2013) 
    • Mountain Faith’s sophomore album may not be as appealing as the Pop Series, but I promise it’s worth a listen. While at times the lyrics seem a little bit elementary, the fiddle in the background really gets me going. They only use the banjo and fiddle, though. It gets a little bit old. If you’re in your feels, I would recommend “God Is There”, an emotional, heartfelt, country jamboree. My favorite song is “Living Water”. It really gets you knee-slapping, hootin’, and hollerin’. 
  3. Save Me (2011)
    • I’m starting to get a little tired of the fiddle. If you’ve heard one song by Mountain Faith you have heard them all. If you like one of their songs you will love every other one. I wish they would do more pop covers. I really liked those. In this album maybe they hadn’t come into their art, but some of these were hard listens. It seems like they have a more evolved sound after this.
  4. Blue (2014) 
    • Mountain Faith’s emo phase? The songs on this album aren’t really upbeat. They’re about heartbreak, sadness, and, of course, God. This album really makes me want to hop on a tractor and start farming. The last track is called “Headed for  City” and listening to it gave me a coronary embolism. When I pressed play my heart started beating a million miles a minute. The rhythm kept up through the whole song which was really impressive. “Madam” and “Each Passing Day” are both slow, which was a welcome respite from the uptempo tunes I’m used to. I must say, listening to some of these songs did make me feel a bit blue.

[Their cover of “I Want You Back”] is a disgrace to the Jackson Five

— Milla Broadwater (12)

I was really planning on listening to their other album That Which Matters, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. If this music sounds appealing to you I’m sure you would love it. I liked some of the tunes, but I can’t see myself coming back to them, unless it’s for country covers. That EP also has the most streams out of all their albums; give the people what they want! I think the main lady has a really nice voice, and it’s best showcased on their cover of “I Want You Back”, my favorite song from them. Feel free to give them a listen! Support underground artists!

(top image from “Save Me” album cover)