Celebrating the 2023 Volleyball Seniors

Girls Volleyball Senior Night

Last Monday night, October 12, 2022, the Birdcage came together to celebrate the girls volleyball team’s seniors. Following the JV game, the Varsity team lined up to highlight their wonderful seniors. The seniors walked out alongside their parents and lined up in front of the packed Birdcage to hear remarks from their teammates and parents. The team reminisced on some of their memories together to celebrate the girl’s volleyball Class of 2023: #3 Lily Coulter, #5 Sophia Taber, #8 Kate Gieg, and #11 Noelle Andrews.

Sophia Taber and Marina Barnes

The team swept Timberland 3-0 with scores of 25-29, 25-6, and 25-7. Keeping the morale high, celebrations continued after the game with cupcakes and pictures. The seniors took pictures with their fat heads and were given leis and gifts to celebrate the night. Marina  Barnes ‘24 even surprised senior Sophia Taber with a cupcake to the face!

Although the night was filled with celebration, many tears were shed. All four seniors have been members of the AMHS girls volleyball program for four years, making this an especially hard goodbye. Lauren Faust ‘24, Betsy Bailey ‘24, Ava Smoak ‘24, Suzanna Carlsten ‘24, and Emerson Medlin ‘25 gave speeches highlighting their favorite memories and what they are going to miss most about the Class of 2023, taking everyone on a bittersweet trip down memory lane.

#3 Lily Coulter

Lily joined the volleyball team freshman year and has been on the varsity team since her sophomore year. Lily is the Captain of the varsity team this year and has led the team to securing a spot in playoffs. She is the team’s libero and currently leads the team in digs, aces, and receptions. Lily says that her favorite memory being on the volleyball team has been “[beating] Hanahan” and she is going to miss “Coach Hanna S” the most.

#5 Sophia Taber

Sophia has played for the volleyball team since her freshman year. She joined the varsity team as a junior and has made a notable impact. During the 2021 season, she won the Most Improved Player award.  She is currently the team’s starting setter and leads the team in assists. Sophia’s favorite memory was “the last JV game freshman year because [they] were ratchet and it cracked [her] up”. Sophia says that she will miss “hearing Coach Hanna S make comments on the sideline” the most.

#8 Kate Gieg

Kate has been on the volleyball team since freshman year and joined the varsity team her junior year. Kate plays right side hitter where she makes lots of blocks and kills. Her favorite memory has been “getting food before games”. Kate has made a lasting impact on the team and will miss “before game food” the most.

#11 Noelle Andrews

Noelle has been a part of the volleyball team since freshman year and joined the varsity team junior year. Noelle plays defensive specialist returning serves and keeping the other team from scoring. Her favorite part of playing volleyball has been “flying on the bus or running off the road” and she will miss “her junior ‘babies’” the most.

The Class of 2023 has been a huge part of the volleyball program the past four years and will be greatly missed. The regular season has ended for the team (9-8, 4-4), but there is still time to come cheer these Raptors on to a state championship! ENJOY THE SLIDESHOW BELOW!