High School Musical is Overrated

Why Lemonade Mouth is Disney’s Best Original Musical

From left to right: Charlie, Mo, Olivia, Stella and Wen

High School Musical has been a staple of our generation since the first one was released in 2006. We all know the songs as well as Troy and Gabriella’s love story that puts all others to shame. I cannot deny the tunes are, indeed, catchy or that Zac Efron’s sparkly blue eyes are captivating. However, besides the half-baked attempt at realistic bullying from Sharpay there is no substance. It is a story of a basketball star who is upset. He wants to sing with the girl he loves, but doesn’t want to be a pariah. Then his team backs him up and he sings some songs about his skin-deep feelings. Then you look at a movie like Lemonade Mouth that touches on important issues that affect not just teens but everyone. It is the story of five high school students who are from completely different worlds who are brought together through adversity. Olivia, the lead singer, is a girl who suffers from stage fright and lives with her Grandma because her mom passed away and her dad is in prison. All she has left of them is her mom’s ancient cat. Then there is Wen, the pianist, a boy whose mom passed away and now has to adjust to a new life when his dad meets someone new and younger. Stella, the lead guitarist, has two working parents who devote all their time to their jobs, leaving them with, seemingly, no time for their family. Stella also fights issues of unfair restrictions of personal liberties at her school with dress codes and personal bias from her principal. Next is Charlie, the drummer, he has an older brother who is a big shot soccer player with a full scholarship in college. Charlie feels pressured by his parents to follow in his brother’s footsteps though it isn’t his passion. Lastly there is Mo, a girl whose parents are first generation Indian immigrants. She struggles with following the values of her father and of her culture. She wants more from life than she feels she can get. Together they work to spread awareness for serious issues through their songs. This movie is emotional and raw. It makes you think about the struggles that you have and will face in your life. It encourages you to take a stand against what isn’t right.