QB1: A Review

What is the show all about?

The three quarterbacks covered in this season of QB1

Since its premiere in February of 2017, QB1 has been one of the most popular sports documentaries around. Sponsored by media giant Complex, the series has formed a large following of interested viewers. The show follows three top-tier high school quarterbacks each year and documents their experiences in their last year of high school, both on and off the field, before they head off to the college they’ve committed to. This year, the show chose quarterbacks from around the country: Sam Hartman from South Carolina, Justin Fields from Georgia, and Re-al Mitchell from California. These prospects are all committed to Division 1 schools in Wake Forest, Georgia, and Iowa State respectively. I’m here to give you my personal insight into each of these players, including their personality, abilities, and chance for success in college.

The show begins with Justin Fields, so I felt it was only appropriate that I start with him. Fields was born and raised in Kennesaw, Georgia, and played for the local high school powerhouse Harrison Hoyas. As the number 1 rated dual threat quarterback in the country and the number 2 recruit overall, Fields faced a lot of pressure with the looming prospect of playing for a college football powerhouse. However, he didn’t appear to let this burden get to him, as he played outstandingly time and time again throughout the season. After seeing the damage Fields can do with his legs, I’m positive that he is the future of Georgia Football and a possible Heisman candidate in the future.

To me, Hartman seemed very confident in himself, almost to the point of cockiness.

Next up we have Sam Hartman, a local celebrity who left his successful high school career in North Carolina to come play for his former coach Chad Grier, who was in his first year leading the Oceanside Landsharks. To me, Hartman seemed very confident in himself, almost to a point of cockiness. Yet, he also seemed like someone who could be a strong leader for his teammates to get behind. This becomes important, as the show doesn’t hold back when exposing the long list of weaknesses the Landsharks have. Dealing with players who can’t even catch the football, Hartman is able to make them more confident in themselves and their ability to win games. While I didn’t particularly like him, I think Hartman can be a reasonably good quarterback for Wake Forest, at least good enough to make Talon staff member Eliot Leadem happy.

Finally we move on to West Coast sensation Re-al Mitchell. While smaller and just under 6 feet in height, Mitchell has the ability to beat opponents with his arm and his feet. Playing for the renowned St. John Bosco Braves, a nationally ranked football program, the quarterback sometimes underwhelmed due to the burden of carrying on the storied team. Re-al was a very likeable guy, he always respected adults and did the school work he was asked to do, even while his teammates were frolicking without him. However, the fact that he is so short does raise problems in big games, specifically when the Braves faced St. Thomas Aquinas High School, another nationally ranked team, in their first game of the season. Unfortunately, I don’t really see Mitchell being a renowned college quarterback, especially since he is coming into a relatively weak Iowa State program.

Despite the fact that I don’t see all of these quarterbacks being successful, the work ethic they display throughout the show is undeniable. I wish all the best for these guys.