Raptors Soar into 1st Place with Victory over Battery Creek; Next Up BE

Ben Auten, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday night, the top 2 teams in AA Region VI took the floor in front of a hostile Battery Creek crowd. It was senior night for the Dolphins, and they were looking to improve to a perfect 8-0 in the region. However, Magnet had other ideas.

The Raptors came out from the opening tip, matching score for score with the region leaders, primarily due to the presence of “Zeus” himself, junior center Alex Pastis. Pastis scored the first 8 points for the Raptors, but Magnet turned the ball over 4 times in the opening period, and trailed 19-13.

The Dolphins maintained a comfortable lead for all the second quarter, but the visiting Raptors hung around, and trailed by just 9 points heading into the break.

Then, Magnet came out in the third quarter, and went back to “Zeus” on the offensive end, and he scored 7 points on his own, while senior Keb Mosley-Kellum, sophomore Myles Myers, and sophomore Bryson Rose, each knocked down a 3 pointer at the end of the quarter to trim the deficit to 49-45 going into the final frame.

The Raptors owned the 4th quarter, and a late surge from senior Danny Cunningham, who scored 12 points, provided the spark the Raptors needed to take their first lead since 6:33 left in the first quarter. Sophomore guards Myles Myers and Bryson Rose made their free throws down the stretch, and the Magnet defense shut down the Dolphin offense in the final seconds to preserve a 74-66 comeback victory.

Academic Magnet was led by the aforementioned Alex Pastis, who finished the night with 25 points and 19 rebounds. Yes you read that right, the one they call “Zeus” was the dominant, thundering force Tuesday night. Myles Myers added 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists, while Danny Cunningham and Bryson Rose scored 15 and 12 points respectively.

Your Raptors are now in first place in AA Region VI as they travel to Bishop England tonight. The girls play at 6:30 and the boys at 8:00. The theme is Blackout, so come out in all black and bring The Flock to Daniel Island as Magnet takes on their biggest rivals!