Interviewing the New Transfer Students

Every year, Magnet has transfer students who transfer in as upperclassmen. This year there are 9 new transfer students: 3 juniors and 6 sophomores. The new juniors are Arasely Sosa, Sutton Bates, and Scarlett Borrelli. The new sophomores are Bea Vaught, Perci Hamilton, Cole Fritz, Susannah Spath, Gordon Oliver, and Josh Freeman. Here are interviews of 4 of the 9 transfer students below:

Arasely Sosa- Junior

What are some things you want people to know about yourself (favorite fast food restaurant, fav. song, fav. type of pet, are you playing any sports, and anything else?)

I like to read and enjoy the R&B genre in music.

How has your AMHS experience been different that your previous school?

AMHS has been more free and let’s you express yourself.

What is the best thing about AMHS?

The light happy feeling throughout the school. 

___________________

Bea Vaught- Sophmore

Fav fast food restaurant- Probably Panda Express. A friend once told me that that’s kind of like an Italian saying their favorite restaurant is Papa John’s but I enjoy Americanized Chinese food as much as authentic Chinese food. Fav song- Can’t choose a single song, but my favorite album of all time is MM..FOOD by MF DOOM and my album of the year is There Will Be No Super-Slave by Ghais Guevara. Fav type of pet- Dogs. Sports- I have no athletic ability. Anything else- If anyone has good pictures from past or upcoming school events (Club Fair, Spirit Week) please email them to me at vaubea9573@ccsdschools.com so we can possibly feature them in the yearbook.

There are a lot more students at Magnet, so the student body is more diverse. People also put more effort into class discussions and their schoolwork in general here.

What is the best thing about AMHS?

The teachers I have this year are passionate about what they teach, and they’re all knowledgeable and helpful. This enriches their classes and makes it easier to stay engaged during lectures.

___________________

Sutton Bates- Junior

Something I want people to know about me is that my favorite food is Pasta and I love Italian food. I don’t play any sports but I like to ride my bike and swim. I also don’t have any pets.

AMHS is quite different from the school that I came from, but so far the biggest thing is the school environment. Everyone here is very nice, friendly, and super helpful. The teachers really want the kids to succeed and show that through their teaching and personalities.

What is the best thing about AMHS?

The best thing about AMHS so far are the resources. There are so many opportunities here that you could basically go all four years here and still not do everything that school has to offer.

What are some things AMHS could do in order to make your experience better?

Something that AMHS could do potentially better is by taking a more individualized approach to new Sophomores/Juniors/Seniors because it is a lot to deal with on the first day. Especially if you’re not entirely sure where to go and who to sit with at lunch. It’s a little intimidating but after a week or so it gets much better!

___________________

(Perci) Sebastian Hamilton- Sophmore

I really like Popeyes, I am really terrible with remembering names and birthdays, I have 2 big golden retrievers, and I play soccer and started wrestling this year.

It is significantly bigger, it has more AP classes, but the teachers are a little less close because of how many kids there are.

What is the best thing about AMHS?

I like all of the AP classes and the wide variety of sports available.

I wish we were allowed to sleep during study hall.

___________________

We would like to welcome these new students and implore that everyone does what they can to help these students feel at home.