Over the Horizon Bulls Island Field Trip

Recently, several AP Environmental students were selected for a field trip to Bulls Island. Bulls Island is part of the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge. While this field trip was to learn about biodiversity in the environment, it was also to diversify ourselves with students from Lincoln Middle-High School through the “Over the Horizon” project. The goal of this project is to share the value of diversity, both biodiversity and human diversity. The Magnet students arrived at Lincoln to be paired up with a student and to get to know each other over a light breakfast. Each Raptor  buddied up with a Lincoln student and spent the remainder of the day with his or her buddy– on the bus, on the island, at lunch, etc. Then we all took a bus to the Bulls Island Ferry. Once we arrived on the island, we saw lots of wildlife and walked on the beaches. Our tour guide, Olivia, was very knowledgable and shared lots of insight on the island. Lincoln’s culinary program provided everyone with a variety of sandwiches, fruit, and cookies for lunch. After lunch, we had the honor of listening to a presentation from Vera Manigault and Michael Allen on the history of sweetgrass baskets and the amazing Gullah Geechee culture. Then we got back on the ferry to return to the bus. This field trip was very different from the others that I have been on. It was a great experience for both schools and the “Over the Horizon” program will continue to host similar field trips for high school students.