Tropical Smoothie Cafe: What To Order

Looking to expand your order at Tropical Smoothie Cafe? Try one of these Magnet student approved menu items!

With locations all over Charleston, Tropical Smoothie Cafe is the ideal restaurant for any high school student. Whether you are looking for an after school snack, or a healthy dinner before a big game, try Tropical Smoothie Cafe.

In case you are unsure where the nearest Tropical Smoothie is to your home, check out one of these locations:

Rivers Ave- North Charleston                                   Seven Farms Dr- Daniel Island

Sam Rittenberg- West Ashley                                   Dorchester Road- Summerville

Coleman Blvd- Mount Pleasant                               West Montague Ave- North Charleston

US-17- Mount Pleasant                                              Folly Road- James Island

Smoothies:

Many of the smoothies on the menu at Tropical Smoothie Cafe may seem very similar, so it may to confusing to try to find the perfect smoothie for you. Try one of the following smoothies recommended by Magnet students so that you are guaranteed to find a new favorite smoothie.

Island Green

Ingredients: spinach, kale, mango, pineapple, banana

If you are looking for a healthy option, the island green, which is my personal favorite smoothie, is perfect for you. This smoothie gets a lot of hate, mostly because there is spinach and kale in the smoothie, as well as the off putting green color. But honestly, you really cannot taste these leafy greens. I love this smoothie because it is not overly sweet, like many of the other smoothies at Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Also, this smoothie goes perfect with any of the food options on the Tropical Smoothie Menu.

Kiwi Quencher with Soy Protein

Ingredients: kiwi, strawberries, non-fat yogurt, and soy protein powder

If you do want a smoothie that is very sweet, then try the Kiwi Quencher with soy protein. But, you may be asking yourself, why add soy protein? Adding soy protein to this smoothie cuts the intense sweetness that comes from the kiwis and the strawberries, while also giving this smoothie a thick and almost grainy consistency. As Senior Chloe Wren describes, “the Kiwi Quencher is my go to smoothie. Adding soy protein to the smoothie is a must”.

Beach Bum with Dark Chocolate

Ingredients: strawberries, banana, and dark chocolate

Personally, I have never tried the Beach Bum with dark chocolate, but the smoothie has received great reviews from seniors such as Sophie McLean and Marshall Flemming. According to these students, the smoothie is the perfect blend of sweetness, and tastes just like a chocolate covered strawberry with banana. Adding dark chocolate, as opposed to white chocolate, is a very important part of this smoothie because, according to Sophie McLean, “the white chocolate leaves a bad aftertaste, which ultimately ruins the whole smoothie”.

Blimey Limey

Ingredients: strawberries, pineapple, orange juice, and lime

Although I have never heard of this smoothie, according to senior Grace Ray, the Blimey Limey “hits every time”. This smoothie is described by her as “a strawberry smoothie with a hint of lime, kind of like a strawberry sprite”. In addition, at least to me, the color of this smoothie looks very appealing. After this great review of a smoothie from Grace Ray, you might have to try the Blimey Limey!

Peanut Butter Cup

Ingredients: peanut butter, banana, chocolate

If you love chocolate and peanut butter, then the Peanut Butter Cup is the perfect smoothie for you. As Senior Sam Wheelan claims, “the nutty peanut butter is the perfect savory and sweet combination with the chocolate, and also tastes exactly like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup”. After hearing that Sam has been to Tropical Smoothie over 50 times, I would definitely trust his recommendation!

Food:

Although Tropical Smoothie is not exactly known for their great food, there are a few hidden gems on the menu. Personally, I  myself have had many bad experiences with the food at Tropical Smoothie, so it is important to be cautious when ordering from the food menu. But I have found that the following menu items below are staples that seem to always be consistently good.

Chicken Pesto Flatbread

Description: grilled chicken, tomatoes, shredded parmesan, mozzarella, and pesto on flatbread

The Chicken Pesto Flatbread is definitely the most popular food item at Tropical Smoothie Cafe, and for good reason. The combination of house made pesto, tomatoes, and shredded parmesan really gives this item a real Italian feel. But there has been debate over the quality of the Tropical Smoothie tomatoes, so if you are not sure you would enjoy tomatoes on this flatbread, then I would leave them off. If you have never had flatbread before, I would describe it as a type of unleavened bread that is super soft and soaks in a lot of a flavor, and is so much better than just normal bread.

Chipotle Chicken Club Flatbread:

Description: grilled chicken, bacon, tomatoes, romaine, pepper jack cheese, and chipotle mayo on flatbread

Although I personally have never tried the Chicken Chipotle Club Flatbread, I have heard from many of my fellow Magnet peers, including Gracie Mochizuki, that this order is a solid item. Gracie states, “the chipotle chicken club flatbread is my favorite thing to get at Tropical Smoothie. It is the perfect blend of sweet and salty with a little kick at the end from the chipotle mayo”. If you into food that is a little spicy, then try this menu item at Tropical Smoothie Cafe.

Jalapeno Corn

Description: chipotle mayo on charred corn with fresh lime

If you are just looking for a small snack at Tropical Smoothie Cafe, then try their relatively new Jalapeno Corn side. The corn is served steamy hot, and also has a perfect char. The chipotle mayo that covers this delicious corn adds the perfect spicy kick to the side. Additionally, the squeeze of fresh lime adds a very subtle sour note. Overall, the Jalapeno Corn is easily one of the best new items at Tropical Smoothie Cafe.

Hopefully next time you go to Tropical Smoothie Cafe, or go to try it for the first time, you will try one of these Magnet student approved menu items. I guarantee that these smoothies and food items will not disappoint!